Chapter 25

"What do we do now?" Beorn asks after I freed him from his cell. I shrug. Maybe I should have thought of that first before breaking out.

"Let's see if we can find our weapons and sneak out?" Fawnaya offers and I shake my head at her.

"As much as I like that thought, there's no way we will be able to get past all those armed men."

"I will get you for this you bitch, I will smash your head with my hammer," Kyrag seethes from inside his cell. I shoot him a quick glance but diverse my eyes shortly after. he is not a thread to me when he is locked up.

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Belethrorn butts in and looks at me with questioning eyes. I shake my head and watch him with wide eyes.

"How am I supposed to know? Can't you just, get our weapons here?"

Belethorn shakes his head and gently jerks his head towards Kyrag, who's watching us like a hawk. I grimace and scrunch my nose.

"Then let's try to get away from here," I mumble and turn on my heel to walk to the door. The metal knob feels cold under my touch and I am starting to miss my warm cloak. Slowly I turn the knob and the door creaks horribly. Please don't hear the door, please...

"The prisoners are trying to escape!" Kyrag's voice booms through the air. I turn and glare at the man. The others slip past me and I quickly shut the door behind me.

The door creaks again when I shut it and the sound it makes when it falls back into its lock makes me cringe. Slowly I look up and see my friends, the slight smile that sat on my face falters when I see our situation. We walked right into the guards by the door. They look angry with sadistic smiles on their faces.

"How kind of you to walk out for us," the closest man smirks, "White Raven wants to see you."

"They were at the door, we never stood a chance," Fawnaya mutters and earns herself a smack on her head. The force behind it must have been incredible because she crumbles down like a sack of potatoes. 

"You wanker," the man next to me speaks up again, "you can't smack everyone with a force like that." He has an orange beard with iron ornaments braided through. His eyes hold a certain kindness, the small crinkles at the corners give away some age and the way he leans on his Warhammer is a dead give away he isn't afraid we do anything stupid. He turns his attention back to me and smiles when he sees me staring at him. "Now, I don't think you are stupid enough to do something like this again. Unlike the others, I am not a fan of violence being the solution for everything. Unless you want to end up like your friend, I suggest you listen to what I say." 

I nod my head and wait for him to tell me what he wants me to do. Instead, he gently nudges me forward and I hesitantly take a few steps forward. The corridor is lit by a few torches, nothing more. We ascend a wooden staircase and halt inside a hall-like space. From here we can go in three different directions. The last man locks the door towards the dungeons behind us and says something in another language. The man with the orange beard laughs glancing at us before continuing our journey down the left corridor. It widens a few paces further and at the end, a large arch signals the beginning of a new room.

It is a great hall filled with a large number of men, all with hammers or axes. There are three big fires in the middle of the hall which light up the entire room, making the two walls on the long side of the building filled with the shadows of people talking and laughing sitting at long tables alongside the walls. The walls itself are decorated with various banners with different patterns and figures. At the front of the hall, which is raised up higher than the rest of the floor, is a big white throne with jagged edges. Upon closer look, it appears to be made entirely of bones, mainly skulls. Human skulls.