0.0 - WCKD is Good

Elizabeth heard the sick outside. She heard the screaming, heard the shooting and crying of what was once a friendly neighborhood. The neighborhood where she learned to ride a bike, and her friends played soccer with her in their yard. The street that her bus would pick her up and take her to school in the mornings, then drop her off in the afternoon. The house that used to belong to her family, but now only contained her.

       Having all the windows and doors locked, six year old Ellie Carter wanted to believe she was safe. She wanted to believe her sick parents and her younger brother would be alright. But with a brain like hers, a far more advanced brain than any kid her age should have, she knew, knew deep, deep down that the sick would never stop coming, the disease would never stop spreading, and people would never stop dying.

     That little part of her brain still hoped her parents and brother would come back for her. That they'd be alive and apologize for leaving her locked in her basement and they could be together again. But she knew that they wouldn't. What she didn't know is why. Why did they leave her alone with the monsters? Why did the world have to go this way? 

     A bang on the window was suddenly heard, and Ellie jumped up in surprise. She knew she should be terrified. That she should be crying and rolling on the floor like a baby. That is what most kids her age would do. That is what she probably should have done.  But instead she pushed herself up from her knees and carried herself to the window and pulled back the blue curtains that her mom had picked out about a year before.

   Ellie knew how it went. She knew that when you get exposed you change. Change into someone your not. Change into one of them. One of the monsters. She knew that they were no longer people. That the disease took over them and turned them into something horrible. Something that wasn't human. 

   But despite knowing all this, she looked through the window only to be meet with the face of one of the monsters. Ellie wanted to close the curtains. She wanted to forget she ever saw the face looking back at her through the glass. Forget the bloodshot eyes and the drool spilling from the smile that showed broken teeth and dark gums. But that is not what stopped her from jerking the curtains back and crawling back into the mattress laid on the floor. 

   For the monster used to be the person who Ellie would tease and make fun of because of how little he was. The person who would spill ice cream on his shirt and cause everyone to laugh. Her younger brother stood facing her. Almost as if he knew who she was. As if there was an ounce of sanity left in the small child. But Ellie knew that wasn't the case when he slammed his hand against the window in attempts to break it. The glass cracked against the small boys fists and blood trickled down his fingertips. 

     As his hands neared the fragile window again, a single hand reached forward and pulled the boy back by his collar. A scream was heard, sounding so inhuman, and Ellie used her trembling hands to cover her ears. She didn't need to see to know that they had killed him. She could tell by the  dark, red, blood that squirted up from the ground and how the screams suddenly stopped. She knew that the once living, breathing boy, was no longer alive.

   Ellie brushed her long brown hair out of her face and averted her eyes from the window the ground. Her brother would never go to kindergarten, or learn to ride a bike. He could never grow up to become an astronaut like he wanted, have a family and grow old with Ellie by his side through it all. 

   She tried telling herself that it wasn't him, that it was a monster. But that thought didn't stop the tears from sliding down her cheeks and her knees from buckling to the ground. It couldn't stop the sobs from echoing on the walls around her. 

    Ellie didn't move when the men came in from the door to her basement, nor when they grabbed her by her arms and carried her out of her house. She didn't believe when they said it would be okay. She knew it wouldn't. But she would understand it someday. She would see that they were doing the world a favor. And that WCKD is good.

   And as the days turned into weeks, weeks into months, into years, Ellie grew both physically, having been older now and much, much taller, but also mentally, seeing as though she was taught privately in her small, simple room. She was given problems, problems that not even many adults could have solved and she could. She could solve the impossible. And that's why they had her build the maze.

    Ellie had built the maze, the doors, the grievers, and everything behind them. She had spent hours, among hours piecing together everything needed to know, with Thomas and Teresa by her side. And together they did the impossible. They built the thing that would save the world.

     And in the long run, after the maze, after the trails were complete, the world would be saved. She knew some of the subjects would die, some of her friends would die, but it was a risk she had to take. A risk for her brother, for her parents, and even for herself. 

   So she would save the world, and all those still living in it. WCKD would find a cure, and her friends would survive. Ellie knew they would because they were smarter than the maze. They were smarter than the cranks, than the obstacles that WCKD would throw at them. But what she didn't know was that she would be fighting to survive along side them. And she wasn't so sure she could outsmart the world. 

WORD COUNT: 1030