Chapter Three

Andrew's Point of View

More than several choice-words slip off my tongue as I scramble to move Mia into the top branches of a tree. I'll have to use my powers to pause our hearts until the God-hugging scum pass by and travel far away from our location. I turn off our necessity to breathe just in time; the crunching of leaves below alerts me to their presence.

'"Johnson, have you found any sign of them here?" a man asks one of the life-seekers.

"No, sir. I can't seem to detect any heartbeats or air circulation in the surrounding area," the seeker responds.

The leader, it seems, grunts out two words that would strike fear into the heart of any person. "Try. Harder."

"But--"

"You heard me, Johnson."

The seeker lowers his head and continues onto another spot in the woods. Finally, the commander steps into eyeshot, and I can say I'm glad Andrea's in a power-induced coma right now. I'd recognize that man anywhere. My brother-in-law-- Sam Hanson.

Andrea's Point of View

My eyelids begin to flutter as I feel the life in me restored. I gradually turn my head to the right, then to the left, yet my surroundings aren't familiar. Forest surrounds me on either side and the canopy is above.

I hear a shifting a couple of feet away as Andrew whispers, "Welcome back to the land of the living, Andrea."

I feel anger rise from my gut. "Want to explain why I was just in a coma?" I ask, keeping my tone even.

He chuckles sheepishly and scratches the back of his neck. "About that, there were life seekers, so if I hadn't temporarily stopped your life, we'd be dead permanently right now. I can sense your rage, so if you could tone it down, I'd appreciate it."

We stare at each other for a couple of minutes, neither of us willing to back down. Andrew sighs, gets up, and picks me up.

I emit an annoyed hmph and grumble, "I can walk, y' know."

"Yeah, but I don't trust you, so here we are," he replies, irritated.

Normally I'd spit something back, but I decided to keep my lips shut for once. He seems to be a bit more upset than usual. Like there's something inside his head tormenting him.

"Andrew?" I squeak.

"Yeah, Andrea?" he answers.

"What happened during my coma thing?"

His silence can only spawn ideas of the events that followed.

After a moment or two, he smiles at me and cheerfully declares, "Don't worry. Nothing of importance."

His lie struck a chord in me, but I let it go. After all, we haven't told everything as the straight-up truth since the beginning.