All I want is everything ch. 5

I woke up the next morning with a bit of a headache, not gonna lie.  Perks of being a lightweight, am I right?!  I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, soon realizing that I had actually fallen asleep with my makeup on last night... gross!  As I made my way to the bathroom to wash my face, I read through some of my missed messages  from the night before, and tried to  make sense of all that had happened.

As the cold water splashed against my skin, I was hoping it would wash away all of my stress and confusion that had built up till this point.  There was a knock at my door, so I hollered for whomever to come in, while squirting my mint toothpaste onto my toothbrush.  It was Paige.

"Soooo, you and Shane sure got home pretty late last night," she said, crossing her arms and propping herself against the door frame of my bathroom, "what's up with that?!"

I simply shrugged my shoulders and hummed "I don't know" with my toothbrush still in my mouth, looking at her through my mirror.  My head was still kinda groggy from the amount of alcohol my lightweight self had consumed at the party.

"How was Vivian's party?!  You're not too hungover, are ya?"  She said, almost as if she had read my mind.

I rinsed my mouth, patted it dry, and finally responded to her using comprehensible words. "It was an interesting night to say the least," was all I could get out at first, while staring at the sink.  Looking back at her through my mirror I continued, "Shane and I left the party to go to In-N-Out for some shakes and fries to help me sober up before coming back home!"

"Damn girl, that's sweet of him.  Did he pay for your food?!"

I paused from putting my morning routine items away, realizing that he had indeed paid for my vanilla shake and hand-cut fries.  "Now that I think of it, I think he did!"

"So technically that was your first date?!  Girl, give me the details!" Paige said enthusiastically.

I couldn't help but smile.  Had he considered last night to be a date, too?  Even though I had been caught red-handed, kissing another boy hours prior?!  "Yeah I don't know if you can call it that --" I was cut off by the bwoop of my iPhone, indicating that I had just received a message of some sort.  I looked down, only to see it was an email from Ciarra.  I made a mental note to respond to that later.

"He's cute, Callie!  I say go for it,"  Paige responded, knowing he was totally my type.  "By the way, mom's making breakfast for everyone.  I was sent up here to come and get you.  C'mon!  We will finish this conversation later!"

Paige and I headed downstairs, and were instantly hit with the aroma of bacon and pancakes, delish!  Everyone had already gathered on the main floor, anticipating the gourmet meal that was about to be served.  Fawn was contently chewing on a rawhide in the living room with Caroline sitting close by, the dads were sitting on the couch discussing the NASCAR race that would be on tonight, while Paige went into the kitchen to join our mom and Mrs. Ross.

I approached the island counter top, and expressed how wonderful everything smelled!  I thanked my mom and Shane's mom for whipping up a delicious breakfast, and was suddenly consumed by the thought of finding Shane.  I was so nervous, yet excited to see him, as always.  He put those nervous butterflies in my stomach that I hadn't experienced with anyone before!

I shuffled on over to our Keurig in my baby blue and white pinstriped pajama shorts, and my oversize Kenny Chesney merch tee that I had actually gotten at one of his concerts in Tennessee with Ciarra!  The scent of my Donut Shop coffee brewing instantly erased any amount of hangover I had left in my system, and I felt ready to conquer the day.  I mixed some Vanilla Caramel creamer into my mug, and headed out the back door to enjoy my morning cup o' Joe on the back deck.

To my surprise, Shane was already out there, and had made himself comfortable in one of our patio chairs near the table.  I plopped right down next to him.  The hot California sun warmed my entire being, and the slight morning breeze ruffled through my hair.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," he said with a smile on his face, and a squint in his eye from the sunshine.

"Good morning," I responded, taking an exhilarating first sip of my coffee, "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Slept pretty solidly.  My bed couldn't have been comfier!"

"Well I'm glad to hear it.  Did you have a good time last night?" I asked, hoping he'd forgotten about my liplock with Wesley.

"Yeah, I did!  I'd never been to an In-N-Out prior to yesterday.  That definitely made the trip worth it!"  Shane responded, disregarding Vivian's party completely.

"Their fries are the best!  Thanks for driving me over there, and helping me sober up a bit before coming home.  I was a little more drunk than I thought."

"Of course, it's not a problem... Happens to the best of us!"

We continued chatting about the chain of events that had occurred last night, but not once had he brought up Wesley's name.  If he wasn't so concerned about it, why was I?  We all make stupid mistakes sometimes, and I get that... I guess he wasn't as in to Chelsea as I had originally concluded.  It was time to move on with my life and forget about it.

"Looks like I'm a little under-dressed for this morning's coffee chat," I said to Shane, hinting toward the fact that I was still in my FREAKING PAJAMAS!!! How did I not realize this sooner?!  Here he is, lookin' all fresh and clean, while I'm in the wrinkled T-shirt that I slept in all night long.  Not to mention the fact that I had zero makeup on my face!  No boy has ever seen my naked face like this before!

He chuckled.  "I certainly didn't seem to think so.  The whole slept-in-T-shirt trend looks cute on you!"

My dad interrupted our conversation by coming outside to let us know that breakfast was ready.  And I was still freaking out on the inside because that was not the response I expected from Shane!  I brought what was left of my coffee inside, and continued to drink it as I chowed down on some fresh fruit, bacon and chocolate chip pancakes.  Our morning was filled with laughter, as my dad and Mr. Ross told stories about their childhood growing up together back in Tennessee.  I wouldn't have gotten away with half of the things they did, my goodness!

Both of my parents grew up in a small town near Boone Lake, Tennessee, and they are both constantly telling Paige and I wondrous stories from when they lived there.  They made the ultimate decision to move out to California shortly after getting married, seeking better job opportunities.  And while I have never lived there myself, we go back to visit almost every year and it honestly feels more like home to me than California ever will.