Letting Go

"Hi Taehyung..."

      Taehyung looked up to see Hoseok's mother looking down at him with tired, puffy eyes. He smiled up at her and she gave him a gentle hug. He looked around the rather empty waiting room to see if any doctor was standing with a clipboard, ready to tell him he could see his best friend, but no one was there.

"... You can see him. I know he wants to see you," she sniffled. Then, she turned to Taehyung's mother and began softly chatting with her.

      Taehyung just nodded his head and stood up, turning a corner, walking slowly down the hallway. He stopped at a familiar door and took a deep breath, his hand resting on the cold, metal knob.

Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion.

He exhaled and opened the door, closing it softly behind him.

       He locked eyes with Hoseok, but the boy didn't do the same. As Taehyung got closer, he noticed his eyes were extremely glassy, and had a far away look in them. And his breaths were coming out so rigid.

"... Hi Hobi," Taehyung said, tears already streaming down his face. He sat on the edge of the bed and noticed Hoseok looked so frail and thin.

"T-Tae? ... Is that you?"

"Yeah... I told you I'd be here," he said with a small smile.

"I knew you'd be," Hoseok said with a weak laugh.

Then, he started coughing up blood.

"Do you want me to get you a napkin or glass of water-"

"No... don't bother. There's no point, now," Hoseok let out a short sigh.

      Taehyung bent over and carefully took the boy's hand in his one last time, sobbing uncontrollably. He was slightly mad at himself because he had wanted to keep it together while he was in there, but at the same time, he didn't really care. If anytime was considered right to cry, it was now.

He looked up only to see tears streaming down Hoseok's thin face, as well. The boy inhaled deeply.

"Tae... as cheesy as it sounds, I-I just want you to know how thankful I am for you. And I don't think you'll ever truly understand how thankful I am," he croaked, his voice weaker than ever before.

"And I want you to know, that I love you."

      Taehyung's heart began to ache as he let out more sobs. He leaned over and gently, so gently, rested his head next to Hoseok's. And he lifted his shaky hand and wiped away the boy's tears.

"It'll be okay. You won't be hurting anymore," Taehyung whispered, his voice cracking.

"I hope one day, the same can be said about you," Hoseok choked.

There was a pause.

A moment of silence.

"... I don't want you to go, but I know you have to," Taehyung weeped.

      Hoseok locked eyes with him, their fingers still intertwined. And after that, he didn't say anything else. He just gave Taehyung's hand a tight, yet soft squeeze as his eyes slowly drifted shut and his breaths became shorter, his hand colder.

And eventually, Taehyung knew he had let go.

And now, it was his turn.