Chapter 24

There's an interrogation desk in the center of the room. Newt sat facing Graves while Tina and I stood behind him, flanked by two executioners.

"So you were kicked out of Hogwarts for endangering human life-"

"That was an accident!" Newt protested.

"-with a beast. Yet why did Albus Dumbledore stand up for you. What did he see in you that urged him to take your side?"

"I wouldn't know," Newt said, looking kind of downcast.

"So setting a bunch of wild dangerous animals loose is just an accident?" Graves looks expectantly at Newt and I, knowing that we've worked together.

"Why would I do it deliberately?"

"Oh I don't know, to expose wizardkind. To provoke a war between the magic and non-magic?"

"You mean mass slaughter for the greater good?" Newt said bluntly.

"Precisely." Mr. Graves raises his hand and brings up the Obscurus the the case, pulsing and swirling in it's protective bubble. He's absolutely fascinated by it.

"It's not what you think!" Newt interjects, staring helplessly at the bubble of Obscurus. "It's separated from the Sudanese girl. I wanted to try to study it. It cannot survive outside the bubble. It can't hurt anyone." I could tell Newt was now trying to persuade her and Tina and himself, rather than telling Graves the information.

"So it's basically useless without its host?" Graves came to a realization.

I had to say something. I've been silent for the past however long they were speaking, but he just called a creature useless. "Useless? Useless?? It's a parasitical magical force that killed a child. What on earth would you use it for?"

Both Newt and I were incredibly angry at this point. However Graves caught what mistake we have just made. And by we I mean I.

"You fool nobody. You brought this Obscurus into the city for mass disruption to reveal the magical world. I can't let you do that."

"You know that it can't hurt anyone. You know that!"

"Because of this treasonous act of betrayal, you all are sentenced to death." Graves looked like he was enjoying this.

"No, Tina has nothing to do with this. Neither does Jade. Just leave them be." But it was no avail. we were already being directed to the execution room. Tina was first.

"No don't do this. Please."

"It don't hurt," the executioner said softly. "Look into the pool. Don't that look good huh? You wanna get in?"

To my dismay Tina nodded. They took her memories and made them her weakness. That's just cruel. However I noticed Pickett climbing down Newt's arm and started working on the shackles around his wrists. I then noticed my bowtruckle Sydney was doing the same thing, sliding down my arm and working her magic on the locks.

"Okay now your turn," another executioner came up to me and started putting her wand to my head, to extract all my precious memories. That's when I knew it was the time. I drew my hands from behind me and whipped around, jamming my wand into the face of the executioner. Newt does the same, bringing his Swooping Evil out from his hand and letting it fly around the pool of evil. Pickett bit down on the arm of Newt's executioner, causing a distraction. Newt caught the time and fired a spell at her, causing her wand to fly out of her hand and into the pool. It disintegrated upon contact. The memories in the pool soon turned from good to bad, making Tina come back to reality.

"MR. SCAMANDER!" Tina screams, standing up on the chair in fright. The pool around the chair rises up, meaning to create a dome around her.

"Jump!" he called. "Onto the Swooping Evil. I promise it'll catch you."

Tina takes a fearful glance at the pool rising up around her. I'm frozen in place. I can't do anything but watch. Tina takes a deep breath in and jumps. Onto the back of the Swooping Evil and into the safe arms of Newt, who catches her as he promised.

"Let's go everybody!" he shouted, racing for the door.

We raced down the corridors, glancing behind us every few paces in fear that we were being pursued.

We almost made it to the exits when we were encountered with a group of Aurors who were firing spells at us from left and right, ducking behind pillars to avoid our counter-spells. Fortunately Newt still had his Swooping Evil tucked away in the palm of his hand and he let it fly, swooping between pillars and taking out people all around us. Soon all of the Aurors were either dead or they had fled the scene.

We rounded a corner and almost collided head first into Queenie and Jacob. We stood looking at each other for about a minute before Queenie came to her senses and gestured to Newt's case she was carrying. "Get inside, quickly!"

We hustled down the steep stairs of Newt's case. "You know," I mentioned. "You should really get these stairs fixed so they're not as much of a death walk for us."

"I know I know. I just haven't gotten around to it yet," he responded, seeming stressed, which was understandable considering we were being chased by the most powerful wizards in the country.

I had no idea where Queenie was taking us, but it had been awhile and I was starting to get worried.

"Are you sure she hasn't gotten us trapped?" Newt said worriedly.

"No definitely not," Tina reassured us. "She knows exactly what she's doing...trust me." But even Tina looks a bit worried herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey again. Hope y'all are enjoying the rapid uploads. I'm going to be finishing this story super quickly so I can get to rewriting everything. The uploads aren't going to be edited so excuse the grammar mistakes and spelling errors. Also if things don't make sense, don't worry. I'm going to fix those once I get to rewriting it. ~G