Said Narcissistic Lizard Tries To Kill Us All

The dwarves, left in a clearing on the mountain, were put off balance by the sudden rumbling under their feet. They could see an orange glow coming through the door.

"What about (Name)?" Ori called worriedly, regaining his footing.

"Give her more time." Thorin ordered, also using his sword for support.

"Trying to do what? To be killed?" Balin protested, stumbling to his feet.

"You're afraid." This brought a moment of silence to the company. The only sound being the rumbles and roars coming from deep in the mountain. Balin then stepped up to Thorin.

"Yes, I'm afraid. I fear for you. A sickness lies upon that treasure hoard, a sickness that drove your grandfather mad." Thorin glared down at him.

"I am not my grandfather."

"You're not yourself. The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there-"

"I will not risk this quest for the life of one burglar." Thorin interrupted.

Balin looked at Thorin disgustedly.

"(Name). Her name is (Name)." He stomped away, past the rest of the company. He sat next to the entrance, out of the way of fire, but able to see if anyone came through the tunnel.

Thorin stared contemplatively out into the night.

~

Smaug was searching for (Name), who was hiding under the stone structure.

"It's Oakenshield. That filthy dwarvish usurper! He sent you in here for the Arkenstone, didn't he?" The drake circled the structure; (Name), hiding beneath it, sees the Arkenstone at the other end of the structure.

"I don't know what you're talking about," (Name) lied. The girl started to sneak over to the Arkenstone, but was forced to hide behind a pillar when Smaug searched for her beneath the structure.

"Don't bother denying it. I guessed his foul purpose some time ago. But it matters not. Oakenshield's quest will fail. The darkness is coming, it will spread to every corner of the land." (Name) was hiding behind a pillar, listening to every sound she could to try and track the monster's movements. He started to laugh, a menacing and spine chilling sound.

"You have been used, thief in the shadows. You were only ever a means to an end. The coward Oakenshield has weighed the value of your life and found it worth nothing." This caught her attention.

"No! That's not- no, you're lying!"

They said I was only a burden.

Stop, she told her thoughts.

They didn't pay attention to my injuries.

Stop now!

I am always last.

I am nothing but the burglar.

Thorin thinks I'm nothing but the burglar.

Stop it!

Even Thranduil figured it out - he warned me too!

(Name) tried to shake her thoughts away.

"What did he promise you? A share of the treasure? As if it was his to give. I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it." (Name), hearing Smaug on top of the structure, focused on the Arkenstone lying a few feet away from the structure. While she made a break for it, Smaug saw her and whipped his tail, sending (Name), the Arkenstone, and gold flying. The hobbit tumbled and landed against a pillar. Smaug bellowed.