Chapter Three

Dakota
When I was walking out of history class, Liam caught up with me.

"Hey, again," he said smoothly by the doorway.

"Hi," I replied.

"So how you liking Blackden?" Liam asked.

"Not too bad," I said. By that point in the conversation, we had exited the classroom and I saw Drake standing up ahead.

"Looks like you two acquainted yourselves," Drake grinned.

I looked at him questionably. Liam said, "Dude, you didn't tell me the new girl you met at the diner was this cute."

Both the boys grinned and did one of those guy hugs where it starts with a handshake. After a moment, they both stood facing me while I began to put the pieces together.

"Dakota, Liam and I are best friends," Drake said.

"Yep," Liam confirmed.

"Oh," I smiled.

"So, where's your next class?" Liam asked. "Guess I'll be joining in on the tour,"

So I spent my day getting shown around the school by two incredible guys. I had Biology and English with Drake, but no other classes with Liam. At lunch, I sat with Emma and she introduced me to a few other girls who seemed fairly nice while the boys hung out with their ice hockey team. It was an average day, but everyone seemed to stare at either me, Liam, or Drake whenever we went.

Throughout the day, the sunny weather seemed to get grayer and grayer. It looked like it could rain.

Honestly, a new, less-confident side of Drake seemed to come out around Liam. It's not that much of a change, but it's enough that I notice. He's a bit quieter, and often lets Liam take the lead.

I had Biology with Drake as the last class of the day. Our teacher, Mr. Rickman, called me over to his desk when the bell rang at the end of class. Drake instinctively followed.

"I'm good," I muttered to him through the corner of my mouth.

"Alright, I'll be outside," he replied and walked out.

"Ms. Brooks," Mr. Rickman, a fairly young guy in his late twenties with a head full of sandy hair, sank into his chair and put his feet up on the desk. Honestly, the man looked like he belonged on a beach more than he did in a science classroom. "I was looking over your previous student records, and I have to say I was very impressed."

I raised one eyebrows and adjusted the strap of my backpack. "Really?"

"You were one of the best in your class, and held straight A's in all honors classes, while taking extremely advance math classes and excelling in science. But it seems the last two months you seemed to have dropped in some statistics." he tapped a pen on his desk as he spoke. "You mind me asking why?"

Honestly, after I found out I was moving, being separated from my brother, and my parents were getting divorced. I stopped caring about science and math. I was smart, doing well, and even wanted to be a doctor one day. But none of that seemed to matter anymore.

"I'm not sure," I lied. "I guess I just realized it wasn't my thing anymore."

"That's quite a gift to let go," Mr. Rickman replied, clearly not believing my lame excuse. After I didn't reply, he continued. "I was just asking because, you see, I run a science club here at Blackden Ridge. It's a weekly thing. Sometimes we take trips to hospitals and labs, and other times we do some experiments after school. I take some of my especially gifted students to some tournaments every few weekends. You figure out math and chemistry equations and compete for prizes like money or scholarships."