teaser

"f-finn...my body...ow...it h-hurts when i b...breath." norah tried her absolute best to make out all of her words as best she could, the pain it took her to do so was clearly represented on her scratched up face. my eyes glossy eyes could no longer hold the heavy weight that was my tears. therefore, seconds after hearing her say this, my tears completely skipped sliding down my cheeks and instead, went straight to falling onto hers. 

the longer i looked at her, and held her still body in my hands, the more my body begged to give out and let go of all feeling i had left. but i couldnt. not now. not when i caused this. "i-i know, baby. j-just...stay with me, okay baby? the ambulance are on their way and theyre gonna fix you right up and then we can go that cheesy diner you always wanted to go to, okay?" i told her, in hopes of getting a smile or something out of her, but i could already tell that that act would be even more painful then talking at the moment. 

"...p-promise?" she choked out, her voice now dry and hard to make out, but still a voice nonetheless. hearing that word only my face scrunch up in pain even more, which only attracted more tears to fall like acid rain. i held her in my arms as if she held all the cures to every disease there was, as if she was the meaning of life and letting go of her would be me losing mine. 

"...i-i promise." i assured her, my voice getting smaller and smaller the more i thought about what i just promised to this girl. i had no idea what was wrong with her or why it pained her to breath. i knew as much as the doctors would at first sight of her. so, i had no right to promise her something i wasnt sure i could fulfill. 

and from there, her eyes began to flutter shut. but, i wouldnt let them. i lifted her up in my arms higher, giving her a better view of my face. "no, no, no, no, no. norah? norah, baby, listen to me, baby. you cant close your eyes on me, baby, okay. you just cant, sweetheart. please, please, just look at me for a little longer, baby, okay? can you do that for me, princess? just a little longer." i begged her. she then attempted to keep them open, under my constant commands to do so. but that didnt last long. 

it only took a few more seconds before her eyes closed completely. and thats when i gave out. this was the second time ive witnessed this girl's eyes close shut, it being caused by a near-death event that i was responsible for. and things that this made me wonder how she could continue to give me countless of more chances when ive fucked up more times then i can count. she was so precious and so wonderful yet, due to my reckless lifestyle, i am constantly on the thin ice of robbing something so precious and so wonderful from seeing all the good in this cruel world. 

i held her face in my hands, tapping on her cheeks lightly, hoping to get some type of reaction from her. something. but, of course i got nothing in return. so, i gently laid her body down onto the harsh ground, immediately putting m head to her chest, searching for some type of heart beat. and finding nothing whatsoever. so, i then tried my best to attempt my best version of CPR as i possibly could. 

and every time my lips touched hers, they only seemed to get colder and colder. until, they got so cold, i wasnt sure if she was even alive anymore. but, i never let my thoughts stop me from trying to prove myself wrong. "help! please! somebody help me! shes not breathing! come on, for gods sake can someone please help me!" i screamed and screamed as loud as i possibly could but it no use. no one was going to come. at least not in time. 

that was what i thought. until the unbelievable sound of an ambulance truck filled my hopeless ears and got my dead heart to start beating again. my head shot up and over in every direction so fast, i sure i was going to break my neck. but then, the bright lights appeared in the mist of the remains of the explosion that polluted the air. 

seeing this, i had no more time to lose moping around. there was help now. from people who actually knew what they were doing and could possibly help to give life back to my precious, precious, girl. so, i scooped her up from the ground and turned on my heel, then proceeded to run as fast i could to the ambulance vehicle. 

luckily, i made it in time to caught them before they could have the chance to pass me. as soon as i caught sight of the truck, i begged and pleaded for them to stop and help norah. the truck stopped and people immediately exited the vehicle, and took norah right out of my hands. they bombarded me with questions but, i didnt have an answer for a single one. i couldnt see or hear them any longer. the only thing i could see was norah. her motionless body being held captive in someone else's arms. i couldnt help but see this as a reenactment or me as i watched paul carry out norah's body.