Chapter Twelve

"It's been so long... I don't even think he recognizes me anymore."

Who are you?

"You can hear me? Fascinating."

That did not answer my question. How are you-

"I never really said I would answer, did I darling?"

No, I suppose you did not.

"Good girl. Now sit there and be quiet, I'll be done with them in a moment."

What are you... how are you talking to me? Only she should be in my head-

"You don't understand."

I don't think you fully understand, yourself.

"That is possible."

Then why are... *̮̙̘A̤̥͕áa̙ḩ̠̝̮͚͈.̠͕͉̮̳̼̦.͇̲͚̠.̼̥̮͇̥̜̻*̶̤̬̪

Why are you here? How are you speaking to me?

"I don't exactly know, but the night is long, and the day is not. I have work to do."

I... My head... What are you...

"He's not going to let me in for long. I don't have time for helpless, wayward voices."

I can't...

"That's right. You can't.  Now be a good little girl and go find that Puppet friend of yours."

Mari...?

*̼̰̦̑̅͌͞Ǒ̳͔͝ḩ̭̗̯͓͓̗͗̋ͩͥ͌͗͐,͍͉̬̙̗ ̷̻͍̳͂̐ͪ̽ͧGͣ̋o̬̰̿͊̌ͬ̈́d͓͚̪̖ͮ̑̔͝,̣̘̠̺̘͈̭̇͋͂̉͑ͯͮ.̦̝̥̅ͪͦ.̛̮̺͔͂̀͐ͣͥ͊͐.̫̘͎̱̘̉̑͂͢ ̤͐̄̀̆̉ͪͯM̱ͧ̊͆̚͝y̠͕̘̮̿ͪ̈͐ͣ̿̓ ̆̃̐͛̿h̏̐ͪé̪̗̞̥̱̯̂͋a̫ͩ̊̇̿d̀.͕̙̩̳̠̏ͭͨ̓̆.̟̣̲̥͓͑̓̅͐̿.̲̼̮͗̆ͅ*͛̉͋ͨ̃ͧ̒

"Yes. Find her. I've given her a lovely little surprise~"

-----------

William was talking to himself. Jeremy found him out in one of the hallways, calmly shutting the door behind him.

"It truly has been such a long time, Afton. Perhaps you should let me work more often."

His hands were slick with an oily substance that Jeremy really did not want to identify.

"But right now, you're not in charge." A hard chuckle. "That's right, it's just a game. And I'm the one pulling the strings..."

"Sir... Are you alright?" Jeremy asked softly, and William's eyes flickered down to him. The man was twitching, and while on the surface William looked completely calm, he had the face of a man about to scream. He'd apparently not gotten the memo on the Pink Wednesdays, or not bothered, because he was in his purple uniform once again.

And those eyes... They weren't right. It was like staring into those of a dragon. Burning you. Considering all of your strengths and weaknesses. Dragging out every truth and lie you had ever held in just a heartbeat.

This was not the same man Jeremy had met this morning.

The grin on William was unnerving, and his voice was too even, too refined for someone that looked so unhinged.

"Never better. Take a walk with me, Fitzgerald?" His voice went the slightest bit up at the end, but that was the only way Jeremy could tell it was maybe a request and not a demand. Either way, Jeremy had no means to refuse.

"Yes sir."

"Cooperative little nightguard, eh? That's good. You might just survive."

Might...?

"What do you mean by that, sir?"

William's laugh was harsh here, and mean-spirited. He had a hard smirk as the two headed in the direction for the kitchen. "You think we don't know what goes on here? We made this place. This is our life, and so many others' deaths."

"Um..."

"What's the matter?" They had passed the threshold of the kitchen now.

"Nothing..."

"Good," William purred. "Now, hold still~" Before Jeremy could make a sound, he felt something hard hit the back of his head, and William's eyes flickering for a moment. The man caught him just before Jeremy could hit the ground, shushing him gently. "Do not worry, Fitzgerald, I will not kill you. But do not expect to remember this little encounter for quite some time, little nightguard." He couldn't breathe. William delicately cradled Jeremy in his arms, still shushing him, and rummaged around in the kitchen's drawers until he found some duct tape. Working quickly and carefully, the man bound Jeremy's appendages together, locking Jeremy's hands under his own legs and tying all four in such a way that Jeremy was sure he resembled a very lumpy ball.

Then he was placed inside of an oven, and the door was shut. No light. The only sound was William walking out in that sure pace of his, shutting off the lights and doors, then... nothing. Nothing at all.

Jeremy's only reassurance he still existed was the fact that his breathing was frantic and his head was pounding. He was too frightened to scream.

Silence.

Then, too exhausted to try and find a way out of this predicament, Jeremy Fitzgerald softly cried himself to sleep.

-----------

What has he done?

Marį̵͞...

Sa͟͠v́́͜e them...

What has he done to you.

̨I̸̛ c̕͝a̵̴̶n't̷.͟.̶̧.̨ Hard to think. He's done something bad to me, to you... Someone else where you are, they're hurt, I think... Check the back room...

Hurry...