IX

Kian's pov

It's been a few days since our date and I still can't stop thinking of what nearly happened. We almost went all the way. But his hands felt great against my skin.
Absent mindedly I rub my lips as I head to my locker. I needed to swap out my books. All of a sudden I was rushing towards the floors. As I turn I see that it's Jeffery and some of the other basketball team members. I can't believe they have nothing better to do.

"What do you want," I ask standing up.

Smirking at his friends, he shoves me saying, "I don't know why the captain likes you. Ever since he started being nice to you he has been zoning out."

Shrugging my shoulders, "so, what do you want me to do about it? I have no power over him."

"I want you to stay the hell away from. You hear me loser," he says grabbing me by the collar of my shirt.

Trying to push him off of me was useless. I really needed to start working out more so I can protect myself from these idiots.

"Well, I don't know what to tell you. We are friends now," I say glaring at him.

His face flushes with anger; he pulls his hand back to punch me. I hold my arms up to protect myself. I feel when his fist lands on my stomach. I groan as I fall from his grasp. I glare up at him; I hate how they treat me. I notice something move behind them. I look towards the corner and see Levi's shoes. Why the hell is he hiding? Why is he not getting his teammates off of me? I lay there and continue to take the kicks and punches they were throwing.

Finally they walked away. I gathered my things up as I tried to stand. I walk past the corner and head for the nurses office. As I pass the hall I am grabbed around the wrist. Groaning, I just know that my wrist is sprained, hopefully not broken.

I turn and glare at the boy holding my hand. I thought he cared for me. Yet, he stood there and let his friends beat me to a pulp.

"What do you want Levi," I spit at him.

Looking at me hurt, "I'm sorry. But you said you didn't want them knowing about us. What was I supposed to do? Walk over there and throw them off saying you were mine. You would have been pissed. Yet even though I didn't take up for you, you are still pissed at me."

My wrist fell from his hand as he asked, "if you would only let me tell them. Then all this will quit. They would know not to mess with you. Why won't you let me?

"Because, if you tell them, then I won't only be a loser. I will be the gay loser. The bullying wouldn't stop. It would get worse. I just know it," I yell at him.

Turning away he says, "You don't know that. I would be able to protect you without having to worry about the others. I love you, but this isn't going to work if you are going to hide your love for me."

I stand there watching him leave. I feel my chest tighten. I know I should go after him, but I can't get my legs to move. I feel tears roll down my cheeks. I need to get out of here. Forgetting about going to the nurse I walk out the school and head home.

Levi's pov

As I turn from him I feel so hurt. I don't understand him. He says he loves me, but doesn't trust me enough to protect him. I walk away and head to the gym. I try to keep the tears from falling. I can't believe this.

Walking into the coach's office I sit at his desk. When he looks up I see concern in his face.

"What's wrong Thompson," he asks gruffly.

A sob escapes as I try saying, "coach I don't know who else to talk to."
He gets up and walks around his desk. Before taking the seat next to me he closes his door. Putting his hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me he grabs a box of tissue and hands it to me.

"Tell me what's wrong son," he says with concern.

I blow my nose and wipe my eyes, "well I have been secretly dating this guy. He doesn't want others to know. He fears the rest of the team will bully him more."
"WHAT," he yells standing up.

I flinch not knowing what had made him so mad. He paces the floor of his office, two steps forward and two steps back.

"I thought I had told this team there will be no tolerance for bullying," he growls.

Relaxing my shoulders I tell him, "Well I walked out of the restroom and seen the guys beating him up. I didn't know what to do. He said he don't want no on to know. So I figured if I went over there I would tell them and he would be mad. But he got pissed coach, said I should have stopped them."

Coach had sat back in the chair and was looking at me, "well he probably feels betrayed by you. He thought you would protect him even if you didn't tell them he was your boyfriend. I think he has the right to be upset."
I hang my head in my hands and cry a little more. I don't know what to do now. He is so mad at me.

"But, you have the right to be upset as well. If he is to scared to come out to others he can't be upset because you were confused. I think you just need to give him some time. Maybe that will work," he says in a quiet voice.

I look up at him and see that he has a caring expression, "thanks coach. I just needed someone to talk to. I couldn't talk to my friends about this. They don't even know that I'm gay. I have a question though."
He looked over at me with his eyebrows raised a little, "what is it?"

"How do you know so much about this? I thought you weren't married," I say looking at him.

Standing up he walks around to the other side of the desk, "well, I was a kid once to you know. I had the best boyfriend ever. He was the quarterback of the school. I still have the picture he took of us. I was like your friend. I was scared to come out. Now I am a coach and do not take bullying well. The team will be running today, if you want you can join them. Or you can go home."

I look up at him and smile, "I think I will run laps I need to clear my head."
I stand up and head to class after he gives me a slip.