Realization: Minhyuk

Minhyuk stared ahead blankly at the TV screen in front of him. He was sitting on the couch with a blanket and a huge bowl of fried rice. He was watching a scene of some drama he didn't know the name of. It was at the point where the boy and the girl had just confessed to each other.

"I know we've been friends for so long, but I needed to tell you how I feel. I hope it doesn't change anything between us," said the man. Minhyuk scoffed at how cheesy the line was and shoveled another spoonful of food into his mouth. Deep inside, however, he felt the same way towards a special someone. He felt a twinge in his heart as he realized how much he missed this special someone. He chewed gloomily and continued watching.

"I feel the same way," the girl said, and they both hugged. Minhyuk could almost predict what she was going to say. He ate another bite and stared at the screen, barely absorbing anything that was happening. The other members had gone out to the grocery store, but Minhyuk was feeling lethargic so he stayed behind with I.M. , who was asleep next to him. Minhyuk felt so alone at that moment. Not really because he was alone in the dorm, but because he felt like a part of him was missing. He recalled his pre-debut days when he and Kihyun were inseparable.

~~~~~~~~~~Flashback to pre-debut~~~~~~~~~~

"Minhyuk? Where are you?" their manager yelled. He and the rest of the members were looking for the boy who appeared to me missing. Finally, a faint response was heard.

"I'm *sniff* in here. I'm just *sniff* in the bathroom *sniff*," a faint voice said. Everyone was relieved to hear this and they went back to practicing. However, one person was still concerned. Kihyun followed the sounds coming from the bathroom and pressed his ear to the door to hear if there were sounds. As he suspected, he could faintly hear the sound of someone crying. He slowly opened the door and saw Minhyuk crouched up against the bath tub with his knees pulled to his chest. His eyes were red and puffy and his nose was leaking. Kihyun immediately ran to his side and started rubbing the boy's back in order to to comfort him.

"Minhyukkie, what's wrong? Don't cry, please," Kihyun asked as he stared at the crying boy with genuine concern.

" *sniff* It's nothing, I promise *sniff*," Minhyuk replied wearily.

"If you're crying about it, then it's not nothing," Kihyun started, hoping Minhyuk would open up. The boy wiped his eyes and nose before looking at Kihyun and telling him what was bothering him.

"I'm not good enough. I don't belong here. Everyone else is doing so well and I just feel like I'm stuck in the same place. I can't do anything right," Minhyuk said before he started to fall apart again. Kihyun pulled Minhyuk against his chest and rested his chin on Minhyuk's shoulder. He rubbed the thin boy's back and rocked him back in forth telling him that everything would be ok. When Minhyuk stopped crying, Kihyun pulled away and held his hands, looking into his eyes.

"Minhyuk, you shouldn't feel that way. You are just as talented as everyone else here, if not more. You are precious and irreplaceable and I hope you realize that, because it's true," Kihyun said. Minhyuk smiled at Kihyun sweet words and rested his head back on Kihyun's chest. Both of their shirts were wet with Minhyuk's tears.

Minhyuk remembered those words for the rest of his life and pushed himself to be better instead of feeling sorry for himself. In the end, it all worked out. He became a member of Monsta X with Kihyun, and they conquered the unthinkable and achieved their dreams.

Together.

~~~~~~~~~~End of Flashback~~~~~~~~~~

Minhyuk sensed a wetness on his cheek and subconsciously swiped at a tear that was rolling down his cheek. Kihyun was always there for him when no one else was. There was no one like Kihyun. He didn't know what he would do without Kihyun.

They were more than just best friends.

He loved Kihyun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY NEW YEAR. I'm horrible I know. Sorry for the slow updates. This story will end soon, but you guys should read some of my other stories like NCT one shots. K bai. Peace ✌️🧡💚