Chapter 13

Elle

10th day

Ben approached me ten minutes after I had arrived in the classroom. He went to his usual place and stared silently at the blackboard.

"Have you already talked to Carla?" I asked about what tormented me. I was worried about what would happen with her relationship with Fernando from now on.

"I already told her," Ben said still staring at the blackboard.

"What was her reaction?"

"She blew up at me. I had to run away."

The bell of the first class rang, preventing us from continuing the subject.

At the time of the break, Ben refused to leave the classroom. He brought his snack from home and did not say much; I did not insist. I left the class and went to meet Carla.

"Fernando is strange with me," She said while we were waiting in the line of the cantina.

"He is shy. He must have been embarrassed to know that his friend is interested in him," Carla turned her head slightly back. Her face showed surprise and shock. I knew my friend very well to know that definitely, she did not know of the conversation between Fernando e Ben.

"Didn't Ben tell you?"

"I have not seen this asshole today," Ben lied to me. Why did he do it? Of course, that Carla does not look like an angel when she is angry, but he didn't have to lie. "Is it serious that Fernando already knows?" I nodded. "How?"

"He went to Ben's house yesterday."

"Ben," Carla left the line with her clenched fists. She is walking in huge steps. I know she is going towards Benjamin. I went after her in an attempt to intervene in the hurricane that is about to happen, this is if we can stop a storm from happening.

"Carla, calm down."

"I will not kill him if that's what you want to know."

Carla entered the room without any kindness.

"Ben!" Carla did not care about being polite and screamed not bothering to get attention.

"Hi!" Ben said and then showed a sarcastic smile. I scolded him with a look, but he continued with a mocking air.

"Who gave you the right to speak about what I feel or should feel with Fernando?"

"It was not my intention when I saw I had already spoken. I am sorry I did not want to leave you in an embarrassing situation with Fernando."

"I will not forgive you," Ben shrugged. "Fernando did not even look at me today."

"Because he is a coward. Who would not want a beautiful girl like you?" I did not like the way the conversation was going.

"Maybe it's because not everyone likes blondes," I spoke with a mixture of anger and jealousy.

"I thought you were by my side," Carla said a little disappointed. I looked away from her. I did not want to have mentioned that Fernando was not interested in her.

"Was this a hint to me?" Ben said pointed to himself. I do not have preferences for blond girls. For sure Jessica is blonde, there's the movie theater girl too, an old companion of English course..."

"Ben, I do not want to know," I interrupted him.

"Anyway, the damage was done, and we cannot fix it."