Chapter 20

I was quick to get up from Benjamin's lap and go to my mother. I only glanced back once, whispering for Ben to go home. He kept standing on the same spot, and that was a good sign, meant that he would not come to my mother and would open his mouth to say anything that would compromise me even more. She had her arms folded and knocking your foot frantically on the floor.

"What part of going straight home that you didn't understand?" She asked me and then scowled.

"I'm sorry."

"How many more times are you going to use the excuses?" I opened my mouth to try to give a somewhat plausible answer, but Mom interrupted me. "You don't obey me anymore. What is going on? Is it Benjamin? Is he influencing you?"

"Benjamin has nothing to do with anything."

"Benjamin has nothing to do with anything," She imitates me. "And that little scene I saw now?"

"It was not a little scene," I spoke a little offended because she treated my moment almost perfect as a little scene. My mother invited me in, and I was relieved that we did not continue this conversation on the street.

She sat on a couch and me in another, crossed her legs, and watched me silently on the other side.

"Elle, I've already had your age," She started a little awkwardly. "I do not know what's going on between you and Benjamin..."

"It's not happening anything."

"Oh really? I thought you were going to kiss each other in the middle of the street."

"We were just talking."

"What a closer way you have to talk. Which one of you has hearing problems?" I opened my mouth to try to defend myself, but she interrupted me. "Where were you coming from, Elle?"

"From Ben's house," I lied and my mother smiled, and that was not a good sign.

"I saw when Marcos brought you," My mother caught me in a lie. "I need you to tell the truth."

"I went to lunch with Ben at a restaurant," I said to no to prolong the conversation.

"Without my permission?"

"I know I shouldn't."

"Anyway, you went and still went with Marcos? Marcos is not a good person. Elle, I already taught them even if we do not want to, we listen to things. I do not know how much you're letting yourself get involved with Benjamin, I'm sorry, but you're not the kind of girl he would date."

"It's a shame my mother thinks this way."

"That's not what I meant," She got up from the couch and came to sit next to me, regretting what she said. "Benjamin likes these more uninhibited girls."

"I know what kind of girl Ben likes, but he's different. I'm sure he does not look at people in the same way as before."

"I just hope you're won't be disappointed."

"I will not," I spoke in a whisper.

"Ben wasn't a good student."

"Mom, that's enough," I tried to say in a calm voice, but I am sure she would not give up until she convinced me that Ben was not the right guy.

"Do you know how many times his mother has already gone to school? How many bad notes did he get? How much did his mother spend money on private teachers so Ben would not flunk?"

"And what does his school grade have to do with me?"

"He takes nothing seriously."

"He took Jessica seriously. She took him for granted."