The Dreamer

Author note: PG, go for it!

The sword came out of the body easily, unaltered in its Shadowy glory. There was silence now, it was time for the deads to claim their space. The sword dissolved in strands of smoke swiftly blown away by the wind. The man turned around, walking toward the trees. He was half way when the fist of the corpse rised its first limb. Pink tinted nails rising toward the sky. With one last glance behind, the man let the cloak open and morphed mid stride, a black sleek panther continuing his walk. The armour had morphed with the man, becoming tailored to the animal with all the pockets, weapons and devices placed as to not disturb its movement. The big feline lightened its pace, switching to bounding along its way. More and more of the deads were rising when the predator reached the first trees and disappeared behind them.

It kept going until the sun was almost setting and it arrived in a clearing with a pool of crystallized water. It slowed and carefully inspected the surface. It walked on it and pleased that he was still in time, licked the center of the pool and steeped back looking at it expectantly. The water slowly began to melt, gaining speed as the seconds ticked by. soon there was no more water and at the bottom stood a woman. They did not know each other and yet, they did. She looked up at him, cloudy eyes staring into violet ones. A small smile curved her lips and his head slightly lowered in acknowledgment. "I see we meet again Shadow. Are you not going to speak to me today?" she asked, scolding him even as a smile played on her lips. The panther scoffed and trotted down to her. Again he morphed mid stride, and the man came to a stop in front of her, less than a step away. She looked up at him, her eyes twinkling with laughter. "It is nice to meet you too Triss, how have you been?" He smiled at her and guided her up into the meadow, the last beams of sunlight coloring the tips of the pines. He sat on a tree stump and guided her on his lap. "It's been a long time we hadn't seen. I've missed you Shadow. But life as been nice to me lately. And how has it been for you." She answered leaning into him. She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes, basking in the feeling of their embrace. "It has been a though time, but tell me please, how much time do we have? I would hate to have to say good bye so shortly." His face darkening at the thought. "Tonight we should have time enough, warrior." Sighing she closed her arms around him and tightened her grip, ignoring the jabs and pains from his tackle.

They sat in silence for a long time, appreciating the simple presence of the other until he asked if she wanted to go for a ride. She looked at him quizzically. "How would we go on a ride?" He smiled and responded by getting up and standing a few feet away. Without saying anything, he morphed in a beautiful stallion. As before the armour followed his body protecting it but disturbing its movement. This time also a rough saddle appeared as part of it. "Oh, Shadow, you are so beautiful. I'm starting to understand the reason of your name now. Are all your animals black?" Her hand played along his mane, her eyes lost at the sight of this new facet of him. He nodded, stomping a hove, making the ground vibrate and the sky answer with a soft thunder. She met one of his eyes and he nudged her toward his side. She smiled and after a few attempt managed to climb on his back. There where no stirrups, nor there were bridles. She seized her knees and twined her fingers in his mane. Exhilaration invaded her as he reared before launching them in the forest. Wind rushed her, tearing her eyes up. She did not care, she gripped him tighter and laughed in the gale flowing past her. All but what was in front of them became a blur of colours.

Eventually he stopped, they laid on the beach looking at the stars and the moon move across the sky. They talked for a long time, small thing creating each life and more abstract subjects alike. She looked at the moon, a sad smile on her face. He knew that smile, he would have preferred to bring down entire nations rather than see that smile again, but he was not given a choice. He could only accept another assignment. They stood and his arms closed around her, bringing her into his body. "I'll take another assig..." She silenced him with a finger on his lips a smiled. "You know that appointments does not work. You'll take the next assignment when a chance will present itself, I'll wait for our next encounter. Please, be safe." She said already fading. "I will, be there for I'll be back for you. May the shadows of the stars protect you, Triss." He said stepping back. "May the Gods follow your dark path, Shadow." They waved at each other and she was gone.

A smile curved her lips, her eyes remaining closed, not ready to let go just yet. Eventually she got up from bed, sent a text to her girlfriend and started preparing for her meeting. The message read *I've been with him again tonight.* Later, as she went to present her doctoral thesis, she smiled at her lover's reply.

*I wish my dreams were that of a Dreamer like you.*