Chapter9

“Be better than you were yesterday”

It was night. The ‘virus spreading campaign’ would start tomorrow (I got conscious at 8:40 PM) All of us ate dinner. There was still some hope left. I could see a good future. In fact, I was so glad that finally something happened after a month. The past month actually passed so slowly…

After dinner we all went to sleep hoping for some more good news…

Next Morning:

Everyone was wide awake by 8 AM. Mom and Mrs. Parker stated that they would make the breakfast. Agatha said that she would clean the house and Mr. Parker and dad went for their BSEN meeting. 6 of us (Jo, Ira, Naomi, Evan, Sam and me) were ready with our bags which had the virus. There were 12 bottles for each, and each bottle had some HSV in spray form, we had to spread each bottle in different places in the whole village. 

“Go in groups of two and don’t talk to strangers.” Mom commanded.

“Also stay close and be careful. No need to blend with others. Am I clear?” Mrs. Parker added firmly.

“Yes ma’am.” All of us replied.

“And also save a bottle for ourselves” mom finished.

The groups were made. A) Ira and Evan, B) Jo and Sam, C) Naomi and me.

The village was distributed in three parts. 

i) The bazaar area

ii) The colony area

iii) The playground area

Ira took the bazaar area, Jo took the playground area and we took the colony area.

It was 9:00 in our watches. “We will meet here by 9:45 no matter what happens.” Sam said.

The plan was ready, so was the group. Everyone wished each other luck and left. I prayed, that all of us return home safe and alive…

-----------------------------¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬------------------------------------

There were 24 houses in the colony area and total 24 bottles.

“Let’s distribute the bottles and spread the virus. It will be quick.” I suggested.

“No need. We have plenty of time. You forgot ‘Stay together?’ we will stay together.” Naomi replied.

Obviously she was worried for me. Especially after I got shot. We started spreading the virus.

“You know it was not your mistake.” I said

“About what?”

“The gunfire. You couldn’t do anything even if you were there.”

“I could have saved you. I should have taken care of you.”

“C’mon, I am fine; you are fine, everyone is fine. Relax.” Saying this I hugged her as tightly as possible.

40 Minutes later:

We sprayed the virus everywhere and emptied all our bottles except for one. As it was decided that me and Naomi will save one bottle. We went back to our home and found Jo and Sam already waiting for us. We went to them.

“Done?” Naomi asked.

“Yes” Jo replied.

Just then Evan and Ira came back and joined us.

“Finished?” I asked Evan. He nodded 

We went back to the house and I carefully kept the last surviving bottle of virus in the center table. Mom, Mrs. Parker and Agatha were seated in chairs. Mom and Mrs. Parker were telling Agatha about their experience in earth, when they went to investigate and what all problems they faced, but they stayed together as a team and as best friends. When we entered, mom looked at us and smiled and said,

“Thank god!! You’re all okay!”

Just then we heard a knock in our door. We all got alert. Who could it be? We all wondered.