Chapter11

“Pain is inevitable,

Suffering is optional.”

It had been a week since the bottles had been sprayed. All the time E-ians were in news. I was suddenly in love with the news channel! There were about 45 deaths in a week! Still there had been many blasts by the E-ians as they wanted to finish their ‘mission’. Our neighbors, were also very kind to us, they would come to our place and help in cooking. Jo and Sam were especially very close to them. 

Today when they came to our house to help us in cooking (we ran out of potatoes and onions, so they came for the rescue) while cooking, some oil spilled on Mrs. Schaffer (our neighbor) she gave a small shriek “Ah!”

Instantly, Jo shouted “Mom, you’re fine?”

MOM? But they were our neighbors…

“Mom?” Dad asked.

“Uh…You…know we consider our neighbors as our parents.” Sam said stammering.

Mom felt suspicious and slowly said, “Really, so will you mind if we do the virus test?”

“What’s the need of virus test…we’ve known them for years.” Agatha said.

“Then what’s the problem with the test?”

“There is no problem…”

“Just spit it” Mr. Schaffer said.

Before anyone could say anything Naomi said dryly,

“They are your parents aren’t they? Let me guess, they came with other Earthians? In fact they came next to your place not ‘years’ ago but ‘months’ ago? You know this is not legal.”

Silence.

“I think you should surrender yourself to the military” Mom added coldly.

“How would you feel, if you had to leave your parents because they could not afford to come here. You have no idea how life is there! My parents worked day and night for our future. But they never could afford to come here. Can you leave your family because of some bloody rule?? My parents are ready to wait 10years for search of another planet. But you military wont listen! Can you leave your parents? ANSWER ME!!” saying this Jo started weeping.

Nobody had any answer. I can’t imagine leaving mom and dad.

“If the military realizes that we are helping E-ians it won’t be a good sight. I think you need to leave this place” Mrs. Parker said.

“One last question” Dad interrupted “How did the spray not affect you, which the kids sprayed in the colony?”

“Kids told us about the spray, therefore we started wearing small piece of fake skin over our body” Mr. Schaffer replied

Within minutes it was decided Jo, Agatha and Sam would not live with us.

I really hated the idea; I mean we became so close. I would really miss gossiping with Jo or the tasty food by Agatha or the brotherly love by Sam. Why did it happen? I was actually so devastated. They packed all their stuff. All 6 of us (Jo, Sam, Ira, Naomi, Evan and me) were crying. Mom and other elders were cold.

They were outside the house. I waved good-bye to them.

Jo opened her mouth to say something, unexpectedly there was a huge blast. A wave pushed me behind. Suddenly, I couldn’t see or hear anything as if, I became deaf and blind. There was fire on park. Jo, Sam, Agatha, Mr. and Mrs. Schaffer…gave up their ghost. Only their ashes were left behind. E-ians killed E-ians. I couldn’t believe my eyes. So much happened all at once. Jo and Sam died! God I can’t believe it!

I hate this world. This war is killing everyone. I started feeling so insecure. No place is secure…I am so scared all my loved ones are dying…