Chapter Seven

Monday came faster than I thought it was going to come. I didn't want to get up and go to school, nobody ever does, but I need to keep pushing myself so I can achieve my fullest potential. I almost threw the screaming box across the room as I roll over and sit up staring out the window. The trees were swaying back and forth from the gust of wind.

        Personally, I love days in the fall where the wind is out and there is just a gentle breeze. I force myself to get out of bed, Monday's are the hardest, before I get a shower. After I'm all clean I throw on a t-shirt and jeans along with some black socks. I grab my crutches just to drop one of them a moment later. I let out a single groan as I try to fish it off the floor with my other crutch. 

        I probably look like an idiot right now but I really can't bend over and I need the other crutch. Ten painful minutes pass by and I manage to get the crutch. 

        "Daniel!" I hear shouts from downstairs. "Are you okay up yet?"

        I mentally do a palm face, "Yes Mom! I'm okay, I'll be down stairs in just a minute or two!"

        I'm not going to lie but I feel really stupid right now because I could have had my mom come upstairs and help me get my stupid crutch. Eh, whatever though. I carefully make my downstairs and instantly spot my mom in the kitchen making breakfast. 

        The smell of bacon is overwhelming and I almost literally consider pushing my mom out of the way to get the bacon. I watch as she cooks the bacon to a crunchy texture, crunchy bacon is the best, before placing the plate of bacon in front of me. 

        I'm not quite sure if I tasted the bacon because it was gone within the first five minutes my mom set it down in front of me. I thank her before wobbling back up the stairs to get to the bathroom so I can brush my teeth. I put on some music as I brush my teeth, which is probably not the smartest thing to do but it was worth it. 

        I make sure I have no food in my teeth as I wobble down the staircase. I reach the bottom floor, my mom hands me my backpack at the bottom of the stairs as we both walk out the front door together. 

        "How about I drive you to school today Daniel?" My mother asks me. 

        I nod bluntly, "That would be amazing if you could drive me to school today. I'm not really in the mood to ride the bus, the kids are terrible. There is way to much screaming on that bus for me."

        "Well, get in and I'll take you. I have a little time until I have to be at work this morning so I figured it would be nice if I dropped you off before, just so we could talk. Come on," she says opening up the door for me.

        I put my bag on the floor and my crutches in the back seat as I hold onto the roof of the car. Slowly I get into the car making sure that I don't hit my leg on anything. I huff out a breath as my mom gets in the driver's side of the car before she backs out of the driveway. 

        "Mom, what is this really about?" I ask curiously.

        She shakes her head, focusing on the road, "I just want to see how you're doing about this whole accident. I mean, we've discussed this but how are you doing with people at school."

        "To my advantage Phoebe hasn't really talked to me at school and I'm not sure if she is going to talk to me at school. Maybe outside of school because I don't think she likes all the attention that I've caused her these past few months. Mom, I really like Phoebe but she doesn't like me." 

        "Time will be the healer in this case I guess. I know you mean well and I'm happy that you two got together over this past weekend to talk about it like civilized people, but maybe she doesn't want to? I know that you spent two months trying the first time to get her to like you because she didn't like the idea of herself hanging around with a jock."