Chapter 44 - Sea of Shadows

The painter rose out of sight. As the brass instruments ended on a glorious climax, a final set of banners rose into view, reading:

I never intended to conquer the universe. I only intended to conquer your hearts.”
– Duthbert the Marvelous

While the rectangular windows of the elevator began to automatically close, Lenny leaned toward me. “Did you get it?”

“Get what?”

He shook his head. “And I thought you were a scripturian.” Then, careful to make sure Bobbert couldn't hear, he whispered, “Who would have thought molepeople were descendants of the Gadianton robbers from The Book of Mormon?”

“Certainly not me.”

“Well, now we know why we really came to Molemania.”

“We do?”

“To convert the entire nation. Why else? These people need to know the truth.”

“Huh.”

Finally the elevator came to a stop, and as soon as the doors opened, none of us waited to step out.

Ahead was the familiar scene of a dark tunnel lit by fake candles. We proceeded with caution until Lenny turned to me and asked:

“Weren't you going to hold open the doors?”

With a sinking heart, I turned around to see the elevator doors closing. I dived forward and barely stopped the doors with my arm. Eventually Lenny relieved me from the unpleasant task by placing a rock between the doors.

“Thanks,” I said. The pain of the fresh scrapes on my arms was beginning to set in. “That should hold them back.”

“Not for long.” Lenny pointed to a door beside the elevator. It was labeled “stairs.”

Knowing it was only a matter of minutes before Duthbert and his lackeys stepped out of that door, we continued our expedition. But before long, the tunnel came to a dead end. Well, there was a way out, but we weren't about to take it; it was a pit, as deep and dark as the one I'd almost fallen into when running away from the Gahboos. In fact, judging by the equally dark hole in the ceiling, this may have been the same pit … a bottomless shaft of no return. The mere sight made me queasy. Again I had the sensation that the undergods were real, beckoning me into the darkness.

Meanwhile Bobbert had fallen to one knee. “The sea of shadows,” he whispered. Then he began to pat himself on the head. “I never thought I'd live to see this.”

“But what is it?” I asked.

“Shh!” he scolded. “It's the home of the undergods.”

Taking care to whisper, I replied, “You mean they live down there?”

To my wonder, Bobbert not only looked solemn, but tears were forming in his eyes. With a quivering snout he whispered, “I'm unworthy. So unworthy. Great gods of the deep, have mercy on this wretched moleman.” Finally he looked up at me, his black eyes glistening. “I’m so sorry, miss. Can you ever forgive me?”

“For what?” I whispered, knowing exactly what he meant.

“For everything.”

Could I forgive Bobbert? Because of him, I was miles underground, married to a hideous megalomaniac. Because of Bobbert, I would probably never see my family again. Because of Bobbert, the boy I loved no longer loved me. Because of Bobbert, innocent people were going to die.

Including himself.

“I forgive you,” I said.

He managed a weak smile. “Thank you.”