Chapter 4

I stared dumbfound at the sheet of paper, now shaking in my quivering hand. Master Scott took the paper and read over it, "Come with me" he said. I followed obediently.

I stayed quiet, thinking over the line 'I'll be seeing you', he told me we would meet again. The thought made me shudder. His fingers had been icy cold as they brushed my skin, leaving goosebumps in their wake. Though I'd felt something else too, when I trembled, it was not from revolution, as it should be. It was desire. I had desired the vampire menace that had killed Richard, the thought made me sick to my stomach. 

We went to Master Scott's office, he gestured for me to sit. I did so, nestling into the chair in a most unladylike manner, rubbing my freezing legs to warm them. "What happened to your dress?" he asked. "All my dresses can be torn from the knees, the fabric looks the same but is weak enough to tear, it gives me more maneuverability in a fight" I explained.

He nodded, turning his back, "Tea?" he asked.

"Yes, please" I replied. 

"So, I assume you know who the vampire was"

"I did not realise after our first encounter that it was him, but finding out tonight was a shock, I only knew from his signature" 

"First encounter?" 

And so I told him everything, the encounter in the library, how that led to me discovering Richard, and how tonight I had purposefully gone looking for the creature. 

"Is that all, Miss Everlyn?" he asked when I finished.

I nodded, sipping my tea. "What made you persue the creature?" he asked.

"I don't know, vengence possibly, or just blatant curiosity, I wanted to know who it was, and what he wanted, and then to kill it"

Master Scott nodded, sitting across from me, and leant forward, "All excellent motives"

"I was expecting more trouble for this" I admitted.

He shrugged and said "No point, your exam is next week, and you have now encountered your first vampire, it gives you some form of vantage"

"How so?" I probed, hoping for some clue of what the exam held.

He shook his head, "That is classified, and knowledge not beknown to you or any other student"

I sighed and ran a hand through my tangled hair. "Are all vampires like that?" I asked finally.

"Like what, Miss Everlyn?"

"So....human, that shocked me the most, he talked to me, he acted as if he were a man, even though his appearance showed him to be not"

"No, not all vampires are like that" he said sternly, "If you are lucky, they will be mindless animals, it makes them far easier to kill. In the blood lust, they are simply your enemy, like that, they are conflict of interest"

"How so?"

"You described him as human, and therefore you showed him humanity. That can be fatal. Felix Petrov is the most dangerous vampire in the world, and you must never forget it. The fact you escaped the encounter unharmed is miraculous but also points to something darker, he does everything for a reason"

"What did he mean when he said 'i'll be seeing you soon'?"

Master Scott's eyes widened, "he said that to you" 

"And he knew my name" I added.

"This is all too strange, but you must prepare, make it through the next week and there are far darker things to come, Beatrice"