Chapter 18

I was not in 'my' room when I woke. I assumed that was due to the fact i'd broken the window. 

Good, let the leeches spend their money. 

Felix was sat in a chair, watching me, the minute my eyes opened he leapt up and onto the bed beside me. "Beatrice?" he said, taking my hand. I snatched it away, shaking violently. 

"Don't touch me!" I said.

"Beatrice I-"
"Don't!" I snapped, recoiling. 

He looked wounded, hurt flashed in his eyes, though it quickly vanished. Not thinking, I jumped out of bed and screeched as my ankle collapsed, unable to support me. I fell to the floor, hyperventilating and gasping, trying to stop myself crying. Felix was by my side instantly, lifting me back into the bed, mumuring sweet nothings in my ear. 

It scared the hell out of me. 

When the pain subsided, I asked him, "Why did you help me?"

He looked confused, "Should I have left you on the floor?" 

"I'm just surprised" I told him.
"I'm not as heartless as you think" he growled. I flinched at the coldness of his tone and he tightened his arms around me. "I just don't understand" I sighed.

"What?" 

"Why you care" I explained, "why me? I am no prettier than average, no more intelligent, maybe stronger perhaps, but no more extraordinary than any other slayer or even human for that matter. So why?"

He looked troubled, as if he was trying to work it out himself. "I-" he began, but stopped as if he changed his mind, "I've said it before, your a mystery, Beatrice. And people are always drawn to mystery"

I opened my mouth to speak but stopped myself, nearly blurting out but you're not people. You aren't a person. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked me all of a sudden.

"I beg your pardon?" I said.

"You. How are you feeling?"
I laughed, unable to contain it, "are you serious?" 

He frowned and anger flashed, dark red streaking across the green like a warning sign. "Felix, I'm going to die. How do you think I feel?" 

Nodding, he said, "Let me do something for you"

"Felix, you can't do anything for me, not unless your planning on letting me walk out of here"

"I can heal your ankle?"

"How?" I said, narrowing my eyes, already knowing the answer. 

"I could give you my blood" he said simply, waiting for my reaction. I didn't know what to do. My ankle was at least three times its normal size, I knew if left untreated it would become unusable, but the idea of drinking blood made me feel sick. It went against everything I stood for, it represented everything I was supposed to dispise. 

"Thank you, but I couldn't" I said.

"Why?" 

"Because..." I struggled for words, "It goes against everything I stand for, it goes against all my slayer upbringing, it is just wrong"

"You slayers think your so high and mighty? Don't you?" he said, "and you are very foolish too, leaving yourself with an injury like that, your defenceless"
"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, "surely it's in your interest for me to remain immobile"

"Because I care somewhat about your mental well being, and if you can't move from a windowless room for four months, then you will go insane"
I sighed, seeing his logic, I didn't really have a choice, it was either drink the blood or suffer staying locked away. Then again, I probably would be just locked away regardless.