Chapter 7

Damned. My appeal was rejected. I somehow knew it would be. I agree, my instinct are strong but now the evidence. I called Jen and insisted, we go to the court for the hearing. I want to know what is happening. Unlikely I am capable of performing miracles, but I wanted go nevertheless. Luckily, Jen is in the same court until the court sessions are concluded for the day. So, she I didn't have to do much pleading.

But it was my mother and step sisters who kind pissed me off as I was leaving for the court that morning.

"You are not going anywhere for dinner today as Hammad is coming with his mother to our house for dinner" mom said in her emotionless tone.

"I have other plans mom. And why should I be here if Hammad come? I wasn't here when Mr. Lanster came last week, I wasn't here when Abdullah's family came over last month and I am certainly not intending to stay because Hammad or his mother decided to come over" I said quite angrily. This is getting pretty annoying.

"Dad says Hammad is getting a new Ferrari. Isn't it nice Rania? I wish my fiancé could buy one. I should push him" Rana said and rest of the women except me nodded in approval.

"I have an idea. Why don't you keep Hammad and his Ferrari, both. I mean, it seems like no one wants him" I said smiling reaching for my handbag. Time to make an escape.

"Be thankful Sarah, not all men wants you. Especially not many men would want someone as controlling and arrogant like you. You are unable to find a man on your own and that is why this poor woman who is more a mother to us than to you, and my father, the most kind man on earth, decided to bring this proposal forward" she said in her tone which I know warm my mothers heart like a scorching summer day.

"Well, the most kind man on earth, which is your father, wants a business deal as his business are not quite what it use to be. And I am the perfect pawn for this. And for my mother, well, she has climbed the social ladder as high as she could, with the two of you. I think I will not marry just to be on the safe side of scheming" I replied in the same dry tone they were using on me.

"And don't cross your damn lines girls. I many be your step-sister and you might have warm my mothers heart, but I know who you really are. I know what you did to me when growing up and the evil you are capable of. I am who am now. Mom will see what I mean when the time comes" and I literally ran out of the house before I could hear the reply.

I am not scared of confrontation but I prefer avoiding it. I know, if I stayed a moment longer, mom would cry and then I will end up apologizing to Rana and Rania. And I am certainly not in a mood.

As I reached the court, Jen was waiting for me.

"Am I late?" I asked her.

"No, lets go in"

"Are you sure you wont be able to do anything?" I asked her one final time.

"Nothing. But I can contest without charging Steve at supreme court if he decides to contest the judgment" she said.

But I know it all depends on how things goes on today.

I sat there for about 30 minutes before the case was called. When I saw Steve, 3 times in the last 5 days, I felt really helpless. There has to be a reason why he killed those 3 guys. The assessment of the case, doctors reports and rest make perfect sense but that is the work of professionalism. But this guy, his body language and his general composure is way different from general hardcore, psychic criminals I have dealt with before.

In the front row, I saw two men, one looks exactly like Steve with his eyes and hair, and I believe is the father Philip. The other looks not like the father or his illegitimate brother, whom I believe is Harry.