28 Alhamdulillah

7 years since I walked out of everything I cared about. Even now the pain is unbearable but the consequences of being happy is devastating. So, I am staying back.

My art earns enough to live comfortably. I draw everything I remember about the happiness I was briefly known to. I did what I should. As long as nana had the company in her hands, the threats are never going to end. I helped Sophia and her father to acquire the company in 2 days. I did all the hard work. Philip and Laila will remain as shareholders but their power is limited. As soon as nana was arrested, I made sure Sarah will remain safe, before I took off.

Sophia by this time was not so happy about how things are. So I had to leave. I don't want my baby to get hurt again. She almost lost her life, which killed me in return. Had she lost it, I would have died too.

Ahmed helped me during the most difficult time of my life. He kept me updated on Sarah and her health. But the biggest help he did was introduce me to Sufism and Islam. And it with the help of the Sufi community here, I am living each day. I have not once gone back to US since. If I go, I know I will end up seeing Sarah and that will not be good for either of us.

I stopped asking about Sarah after I got to know she recovered completely. I want her to be happy. she deserves it. May be she got married and have children as beautiful as she is now. May be she has forgotten all about me. May be she hates me. The may be are endless.

It's almost midnight. Time for me to sleep. But as always memories of the woman I love are keeping me awake. And I heard a vehicle parking in front of my small cottage. An art dealer said someone is very interested in one of my painting, and requested my name and address. Also that the person will introduce me to some hotels and what not. I have enough money but the street vendors I supply my art to, they can do much better with such deals. So I asked him to give it the person.

And a knock on my door. People really should know it is not polite to call over someone at midnight. My house keeper, Mrs. Jane opened the door. If it is important she will call me. I am still in my painting room. I have so many of Sarah's painting here. No one but my house keeper is allowed to enter this room because it is the only place I actually live, with the face of the woman I love surrounded.

I heard the door open behind me.

"Mrs. Jane, it is late for any visitor" I told her.

"Not after 7 years" I heard the voice, and I stunned when the paint in my arms crashed to the floor. I didn't turn. I don't have to. I know who it is.

*********************************************

I wasn't sure if the address was right, but I can find out. I tap the door with shaking had. And an old woman opened the door.

"Steve vivre ici" I asked her.

She looked at me like she really knows me.

"Vous... Vous" she said.

"Yes, do you know me Madam?" I asked her politely.

"He draws you everyday. His room is filled with you. You are the one" she said while holding back tears.

"Where is he?" and she pointed me to a room which is closed.

"Merci" and I walked in to the room. I don't know what to expect. But whatever it is, I have come this far and I will find out. But whatever I was expecting was nothing compared to what I saw in the room.

My faces was all over the place. And in the middle of the room Steve was facing a painting and doing his work.

"Mrs. Jane, it is too late for visitors" and that voice. I remember every bit of it and I couldn't stop my tears.