12 The Nerve

I had $500 I borrowed from Sarah and the entire world at disposal. First thing first, I have to meet Jen tomorrow to see what has happened to my money. If my money and property are in tact, chances are I can live rest of my life with or without a job in a modestly. But I don't know what I have signed on the papers that were given to me when I was tortured. And there is no way I can contest the validity of those.

I took a ticket to the next bus available. Most people who got in are people with color and I sat next to a woman who is old enough to be my mother. She looked exhausted. And I immediately felt sorry for her. Though my own mother choose to leave me, I have seen some single parents go through hell just to be with their children. May be she is one such person.

"We never get white people in this bus" she told me as if reading my mind.

"Well, there is always a first time. Isn't it?" I asked her for which she gave me a big smile.

"Where are you going son?" she asked me.

"I don't know. In fact, anywhere this bus takes will do for today" I honestly replied her while looking outside the bus.

"Trouble in paradise, ha? Let me tell you, you are a handsome man and you will find a young lady pretty soon" she said in her motherly tone.

"Well, between you and me, can you find me someone like you?" I asked her teasingly.

"You are a charmer. I will tell you that. My boys can learn a thing or two from you" she said smiling.

And we felt in to a easy conversation. I learnt a lot about her. She is working as a maid in up scale house, and her employer had requested her to stay late today as they were hosting some people. She has 3 sons and according to her, all useless. And a dead husband she is venerating for the last 15 years. Her name is Martha.

"So what is your story son?" she asked.

"Just came out of prison and don't know where to go. Have no one or got anything to do" I told her the truth.

"Dress like these, how come you came out prison?" she is right. I am still wearing my expensive clothing and watch.

"I went to prison in these and coming out of it in the same" I told her.

"Okay, you are coming with me home tonight. I will make you something to eat, and tomorrow you can go with my Tommy and look for a job in the deck. You look like a educated fellow, and I am sure they can find something for you"

"Martha, thank you very much for your kindness but I cant force myself on your generosity. I will meet Tommy tomorrow at your place but I cant stay" I told her shocked by her kindness.

"Nonsense. You have no where to go. Once you find an accommodation and job, you can leave. For couple of days you are staying with me" she said firmly.

Being so unused to such kindness except from Talia, I hugged her in the bus while people looking.

"Thank you"

****************************************************

It's been couple of days since I saw Steve. Though my work keep me distracted, I still think of him often. Partly for being a fool for letting him kiss me, then being such a desperate idiot to house him and look after him as he belongs to me. No, I am crazy. I should be certified crazy.

I met Jen but she said Steve called her to check with some properties he has and some bank account details. The bank balance is zero, and the bank has given the explanation that is because of a prior loan he had with the bank. Steve has refused the claim but the bank has papers to prove otherwise.

His apartment was sold. According to the papers, he has sold it along with some other property to pay off some of his gambling debt. Though Jen says these all seem made up, there is no way to prove it as Steve has signed all the documents.

I got a call on my office line.

"Doctor Sarah"

"Doctor Sarah, this is Doctor James. We need to speak to you. Would you be able to come to the boardroom?"

"Okay" and I didn't like it. Why boardroom? I am one of the most hardworking and sought after doctors in the country. It cant be that they want to fire me with all these scandals I manage to cause during the last couple of months.

Yet, I walked to the boardroom. And wow, nothing would have prepared me to who was waiting for me. It is Philip, Lina and Mrs. De Bourbon.

"Doctor Sarah, please come in" Dr.James said as cool as he could.

"Is it work related Doctor? Because if not, I don't think I have enough time to waste thought treating all these three people for many mental ailment is appealing task"

"You might know these two, Mr. Philip de Bourbon and his wife Mrs. Lina de Bourbon. Meet Mrs. Henry de Bourbon, the head of the family and it's empire. They have vested interest in this hospital" that's all Dr.James said but I knew vested interest is in other words for pump money in. So I had no choice but to take a seat.

"Where is Steve?" the old woman asked me.

"Let me think. Oh, right. None of your business" I said the same cold way she spoke to me.

"Dr.Sarah, I am not joking. From the prison they informed us that you drove him from prison, and I want to know where he is" the old woman kept insisting.

"Someone who hide the truth of Steve's innocent and let him stay in prison for 3 years, you sure have the nerve to push me. But guess what, I am not obliged to answer you" I told them.

"We will take Talia as she is our responsibility. Currently our legal team is dealing with necessities" Philip told me after a stretch of silence.

"She is with child. A molestation and rape investigation is currently underway. No one can take her until the investigation is over"

"Doctor Sarah, Since you are under voluntary service in this hospital, I regret to announce that from today your services will not be needed. We have another doctor to take your post on permanent basis" Dr.James told me.

"Dr. James, what exactly do you think I am? You think I am one of those doctors in here who is desperate to make a living? Or do you think of me as someone who will put up with this drama? I had only one visit to the prison, and that's when all this happened. And you think I will just walk away from here and let you party behind my back?" I saw blood drain from Dr.James face.

"I have friends who are from the media" and I took my phone and click a pic of all of them before they could do something.

"Thanks for that. Dr.James, this will be sent to the press today along with the explanation of my absence from work from tomorrow" I said.

"You cant do this" Dr. James told me, quite scared.

"Try me Dr. Just try me" and with that I walked out. I got a call latter on the day saying my services will be required as the psychiatrist they were expecting didn't take the job. what a day!