Chapter Seven: A Morning With The Replacement

It's been a while since I've updated The Worst Thief, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have to go back and read the story. Which, well I wouldn't mind. Haha!

Anyway, thanks for the wait. Without further talk, here we go.

~~

Chapter Seven

A Morning With The Replacement

~~

I was on the computer looking for jobs when Nathan woke up in the morning. It was a dramatic awakening. Nathan was tangled in the blankets thoroughly, and he had to wiggle until his arms were released from their confines. He took a moment to pull his face from the blankets then huffed when he noticed his feet were still tangled.

I couldn't help but smile at his struggles. But I tried hard to muffle a laugh as Nathan ended up completely turned around trying to get out, mumbling curses when his leg popped free, but his right arm jammed into the crease of the couch. I sputtered out a giggle when he cursed in Spanish lingo, a word I thought was akin to male genitalia, but wasn't quite sure.

Nathan's head snapped up, his eyes just barely able to spot me over the fluff of the blanket. "Well, this is a first." He said sourly, but not to be unpleasant. At least, I assumed so with the smile on his face.

Unable to pinch my lips from their smile, I took my hands from the keyboard and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear. "For what?"

Nathan used the arm of the couch to pull himself up as he answered. "Having a cute girl wake up in the same room with me-" He paused when he finally got his torso from the cover cocoon, turning to look fully over me on the bed while he grinned. "And laugh when I wake up."

I laughed again, feeling my cheeks heat at what his words insinuated. It wasn't like I had any experience in that category, but Wil and his sister had often made comments that ended with Wil explaining and me blushing. So, I understood what he was saying, but found the situation much funnier than I did the joke.

"What are you doing up so early?" Nathan asked, folding up the blankets. I didn't know if he was just trying to be nice, or if it had been habit to do so, but I was grateful he didn't leave a mess for me to clean up like Marie always had.

I glanced back down at the computer, to the advanced search I had paused in the middle of. I wasn't looking for anything too specific, just a service job in Charleston. The previous site I had used turned up a job on the other end of town, but I would have to move motels if I wanted to work there everyday. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion. I could possibly find a cheaper place to rent if I did so, but a reservation amount plus a weeks worth of money wasn't in my future.

"I'm looking for a new job." I told Nathan truthfully. He cut off anything more I had to say as he hopped up from the couch and then plopped down on the corner of the bed. I had my legs folded and the blankets pushed down at my knees and bunched, my pillows about hanging off the edge. Even so, with the distance between us, I thought about all of the warnings my mother used to give me about bad men.

"I thought Doc told you about Addiction." He said. "I'm supposed to take you down after breakfast."

I wasn't sure what part of his statement to question first. The fact Doctor Green had spoken to Nathan about helping me get a job or the fact he was to take me there after getting breakfast. Together I assumed he meant. "There's food in the lobby." I told him, dismissing the idea of him having to take responsibility for my eating habits.