Chapter 12- The claws are out

A sudden rustle in the bush interrupted our bonding time. I peered cautiously into the trees, trying to find what, or who, caused it. I dismissed it as the wind and we kept walking, but we kept our voices low so we could still listen for movement.

Another rustle!

This one was louder than the previous one. A held my gun tightly, ready for a possible attack.

"Who's there?" I asked, trying to sound intimidating.

Estella grabbed a quill from her belt and narrowed her eyes at the bush. A pair of gleaming eyes flashed from the shadows casted by the trees. A long, menacing purr drifted from the direction of the eyes.

Estella and I stepped toward the eyes but as we did, the figure jumped into the air. A silhouette of a half-human, half-cat launched itself between us and the sun.

"Haaaaaa!" The apparently female creature howled and dropped to the ground in front of us. Once I could see clearly again, I recognised the girl. One of my neighbours and a member of our rivalling group. Her name was Briannon but she went by her criminal name: Catgirl. She was also my unfortunately ex girlfriend, although she liked to think we were still a couple. She purred quietly and flashed a smile in my direction.

"Why are you here?" I asked, a little confused with her sudden appearance.

"I thought we could play a little, criminal to criminal, after all, it's been a long time. Too long." Catgirl said.

She straightened up, revealing various crease marks on her black leather body suit, and cat-walked towards me, but only got a few steps before Estella leaped at her screaming.

"Holy crap!" I fell backwards in surprise.

When I got up, the two girls circled one another, glaring like snakes. Briannon hissed and bared her claws that appeared to be attached to a pair of leather gloves. Estella growled holding a quill in both hands. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation, it was like an epic, criminal bitch fight.

Briannon was the first to move, she swung her claws at Estella's face but she blocked it with her quills. Unfortunately, Estella wasn't prepared for the next attack and copped a large scratch mark across her cheek. Warm blood trickled down Estella's neck but she didn't seem to care.

"You'd better hope you have nine lives!" She screamed in a British accent and threw a quill at her opponent's face. Briannon, however, skilfully dodged the knife by arching her back in a cat-like way.

"Don't you know that cats kill birds." Briannon mocked, obviously furious by now.

Estella threw her second quill that scraped the side of Briannon's right hip. She clutched the wound and when she pulled her gloved hand away it was covered in blood.

"Poor cat." Estella teased, "did the feather hurt you?"

Briannon spear-tackled Estella and both girls rolled along the ground. Estella finished on top and punched her opponent in the face. Briannon yelled and swung wildly with her claws, missing every time.

Suddenly, an arrow shot through the air landed right next to Briannon's face on the grass. I looked back and saw Wills and Joel rushing toward Briannon.

"Oh! That's my cue to leave now!" She said.

Briannon slammed her knee into Estella's back, threw her off and stretched in a cat-like way until she was standing.

"See ya Bolts." She blew me a kiss and ran on all fours into the bush where she entered.

---------

"Why'd you get so angry at her all of a sudden?" I asked Estella, dabbing her face with a wet cloth.

She looked down at her feet remaining silent, which she had been doing since we returned to the treehouse ten minutes ago.

"Why won't you answer me?" I asked, a little more demanding.

She looked at me sadly, "I guess I just got carried away..."

I had a feeling she was lying, maybe she was just protecting me? Nah, not Estella. I'd known her long enough to know that she wouldn't attack someone like that to protect another person, she did it out of her own will.

"What happened down there anyway?" Asked Kira, putting some green powder on Estella's cheek.

"It was Catgirl. She must be working with the Samurai." I answered, "by the way, what's that you're putting on Estella's cheek?"

Kira handed me a jar of the stuff so I read the label, "Kira's healing powder, oh ok, I was just hoping it wasn't poisonous"

Kira laughed, "I wouldn't poison your girlfriend would I."

I knew she was my sister and I wasn't supposed to hurt her, so instead of shooting her I punched her on the arm.