iv

"i've actually never had kids of my own." ethan says to me, taking his second shot. he winces, smiling at the fact that i'm watching him. his smile is intoxicating.

"it can be stressful, but at the end of the day, it's hard not to love them with everything you have." i push my hair from my face, running my fingers through it. i swirl the straw in my own drink, putting the straw between my lips.

"i bet," ethan looks around and then back as me as i empty my glass.

"you wanna get out of here?"

my eyes travel around the bar, and i nod in agreement, grabbing my handbag. without any warning, ethan grabs my hand to lead me out the door. when we're out on the sidewalk, i begin to love the feeling of my hand in his.

this is so dumb, i shouldn't be here. i should be at home with my kids, mourning my marriage.

"is it too soon for me to get into a relationship, ethan?" i ask him quietly, and his free hand goes to my waist, squeezing it slightly. he looks at me from under his lashes, smirking.

"whoever said anything about a relationship?"

"i'm sorry i-i-"

ethan then pulls me into him with a bit of force, lifting me a few inches off the ground. our lips push together, and i feel ethan's arms tighten around my torso. after we part, i have to catch my breath and he sets me back down. he brushes the end of my nose with his, kissing me slightly.

"will you be mine?" he murmurs, his voice deep and quiet.

"i think so," i say, my head spinning. i put my hand on his cheek, my finger running along his jaw.

"can we...can we just not tell the kids about it yet?"

"whatever you want, babe."

we walk hand in hand back to his car, and on the drive back to my house, he keeps putting my hand on his lips, kissing it repeatedly. i hold his hand tighter, loving the feeling of being physical with someone again. he parks the car at the end of my driveway, looking at me with a sort of admiration.

"what?" i giggle.

"you are so...beautiful." he says in an almost sing song voice. i feel myself blush.

"i really, really had a great time tonight, ethan." he smiles, showing his perfect teeth. we lock eyes and i lean in when he does, kissing him. after, he looks at me with wide eyes.

"woah."

"what?" i question.

"you're an amazing kisser."

"oh my god!" i laugh, throwing my head back, and i can't stop smiling.

"i'm serious." he's laughing now, and i realize that i love the sound of his laugh. i'm looking forward to hearing it more often.

♡♡♡♡