vii

"you really want to do this?"

"i think so."

ethan's arm snakes around my waist, and his mouth hits my neck, pressing a hard, but soft, kiss to my skin. i put my hands in front of me, looking at the jewelry on my fingers. with my right index finger and thumb, i pull my diamond band from my left ring finger, a tear going down my face. i then feel fingers lift the hem of my shirt the tiniest bit so his thumb can rub the skin of my hip ever so slightly.

i take the ring and look at it one last time before i pitch it with all of my might into the saltwater.

"why do you think he left?" ethan asks while we're sitting on the beach, facing each other. i've got my legs crossed indian style while his knees are bent and his arms are tight around his legs.

"one day he loved me, and the next he didn't." my voice cracks a little and i look into his dark eyes, the wind blowing his hair a little. it's cute. i don't know if i'll ever be able to stop looking at him.

"would it be....horrendous if i asked you permission to be able to wake up and see your face every morning?"

i don't know what to say. i begin smiling at ethan, and without thinking i put my hands on his shoulders a push him back into the sand, laying myself on top of him. i kiss him, letting my lips settle on his, and his breath hits my face. it smells like mint. i smile at it. now i can't stop smiling, and neither can he.

"we haven't known each other that long. you don't mean that."

"but i do. i'm willing to wait, though....brook. i am," ethan's fingers pull at my hair, and it's brushed back from my face.

"you are...so beautiful."

"thank you." i blush, looking into his eyes for maybe the twentieth time now.

"you know....if you were truly mine, damn, i would never leave you. ever. and if you ever left me, i would chase you all over the fucking world just so i could see your face." ethan says to me softly, and i start to cry, the tears hitting the collar of his shirt. he wipes my cheeks with his thumb.

"you don't...do you? do you really mean that?"

"i love you, brook."

i put a hand over my mouth, the other one planted in the sand so i don't put all of my weight on top of him. now i'm sobbing, but he doesn't seem to mind. his words were so genuine that they hurt me and helped me at the same time.

"i haven't heard that in so, so long."

"don't cry, it's okay. i'm not just saying that. i am truly in love with you brooklyn, and i don't want to spend my life with anyone else."

"i'm good enough for you?" i whisper hesitantly, slowly blinking more tears away. ethan takes my hand away from my mouth, reaching up to kiss me hot and slow.

"you are absolutely perfect."

the kiss ends, and when it does, i bite my bottom lip between my teeth. he clears his throat, looking up at me. suddenly, i'm being flipped so my back is pressed into the sand and ethan is hovering over me with one forearm pressed to ground beside me. his eyes seem to sparkle.

"you look surprised." he states, chuckling.

"n-no one has ever used 'perfect' to describe me." my fingernails dig into the skin of his biceps.

"i will use it to describe you every day for the rest of our lives my love."

"w-what...about the kids?" i ask the silly question.

"oh, they'll love me,"

that makes me smile while he winks.

"besides...it'll be a nice change for me."

♡♡♡♡

lil short story for all y'all ;)