Chapter 6

I was walking past the lockers when I heard somebody playing MCR's "Nanana" [One of my favorites] in a quite unusually loud volume. I looked around to see where the music was coming from... Just then I saw a brunette girl, beside the locker, kneeling down to pick up her books. Poor thing! She looked really miserable. While picking up another one of her books she dropped her cell phone and then I realized that the music was coming from her cell phone. A Girl who listens to MCR? Cool. Many heads were already turning to look at her direction. Quite an embarrassing situation it was for her. I felt really sorry for her. I thought about volunteering to help her so, I started to make my way towards her. I almost asked her if she needed any help but froze when I saw the name in her caller ID. I turned around and walked away. How did I not realize who she was before? [Maybe it was because I was used to seeing her confident and strong and not in such miserable and clumsy state.] And I had almost offered her my help! As if she Ellie, Zoey’s best friend, would ever accept any help from me. “Yes Zoe, I’m coming. Patience.”

‘Zoey’. Just her name brought back so many memories. It’s not like I never loved her. I did or maybe I thought I did. Okay maybe it wasn’t exactly love but it was something and I had never meant to hurt her. She was beautiful, caring, bit insecure [in a nice way]. Everything was great was with us but at some point I just fell out of love. I don’t know how or why, I just did. I didn’t feel the same way about her anymore. I wasn’t happy and I couldn’t keep her happy either. Worse, I was hurting her. Relationship with her started to feel more like a prison and I knew that I had to end this but I didn’t know how. Then Kate happened at the spring carnival. Kate was my ex-girlfriend. That night she got drunk. I was only helping her to her car but on the way she kissed me. Zoey saw us and clearly misunderstood the situation. She thought we were making out. Of course I’d never do that to her, I’d never cheat on her but I didn’t try to clear up that misunderstanding. I let her believe what she thought she saw. I know that I’d hurt her but that was the only way…

“Oi Reid!” I heard a familiar high pitched voice calling me. I sighed and turned around to see Juan jogging towards me.

“Hey Juan” I said unenthusiastically. 

“So what’s going on? What’s new?” She exactly knew what was going on.

“Nothing” I said avoiding further conversation and I started walking but she just wouldn’t give up. She started walking right beside me.

“ I heard Zoey broke up with you. Going through a bad break up?” God why did she have to be so nosey?

“Uh… yeah” I started walking faster. She jogged up beside me.

“Ohhh I’m really sorry for you!” She did not sound sorry at all. “So… are you guys going to be back together?”

No. Listen I’m getting late for class. Now if you’ll excuse me...” I said bit harshly than I indented. It was a really lame excuse since it was lunch break but she seemed to get the hint.

“Oh. Okay. Bye!”  And off she went to probably tell the whole school that ‘Reid and Zoey are never ever getting back together.’

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You sure you’re okay right?” I asked Zoey while Andrew was gone to get our coffee.

“Yeah” she replied.

“Hmm…” We were sitting at our favorite café, after school. We used to come here often before Zoey started going out with Reid. All’s well now. Zoey seemed better than her previous breakups. Finally that Reid guy was gone for good. I never liked him at the first place. I always thought that something was off with him.

“Why so silent?”Andrew came with our coffees.

“ Ah nothing we were just thinking how did you get all so hot suddenly.”   I replied.

“Huh? What?” Andrew blushed! I swear he blushed there! Zoey and I started laughing after looking at his expression. He dramatically sighed and we laughed harder… It sure felt good to be back. Zoey and Andrew were like a family to me after my Gran. My parents died while I was quite young and all had in the name of family was my Gran until these two idiots came along. I glanced at them they were still laughing. I smiled. Yeah I definitely cared about them. A lot.

After an amazing day with two of my very favorite people in the world I was on my way back home. It was 20 minutes drive from the café. My cell phone started ringing again. I grabbed it from the passenger’s seat and looked up at the caller’s ID It was Gran. “Gran I MISSED YOU!”  I said as I answered the call.

“I doubt you missed your old Gran. You didn’t even bother calling me after you got there!”

In my head I could childishly pouting. I smiled at the image in my head.

“ I am so sorry Gran. I was in hurry. I was getting late for school. I am soooo sorry. I love you.”

“ Oh Lizzie It’s alright! Just don’t do that next time okay? At least leave me some message. I worry about you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Okay where are you now?”

“Umm… on my way home.”

“Driving?”

“Uh… yeah…”

“Oh My God Lizzie! What have I told you about talking on the phone while driving?”

“Sorry!!”

“Keep that phone down now! Call me after you get home! Do. Not. Forget.”

“Okay. Sorry Gran. Love you.”

“Now” I hurriedly cancelled the phone and smiled at Gran’s over protective nature. Oh I missed her so much!