Chapter 39: Hello, Heat, my old friend.

After a complete day of doing nothing, not even bothering against the stubborn boy, I am finally free. Free of the confines of beige walls, stuffy room and creaking patience. The moment Nao set foot into the room and throws me my bag, that is the moment where I swear to never again be a prisoner.

"Come on, get up, we're going," he says. I jump off the bed, stick my tongue out to Jamaica since we argued at which time I will be allowed out, my six P.M winning, and run out the door before Nao can change his mind.

I run through the walls as I struggle to get my backpack over my shoulders, smiling at the children who stick their heads out of their rooms to see what all the hurried stomping is about.

The exit is in sight, but before I can reach it, Maura walks into the room, obstructing me from my path. I stop in my tracks, my dislike for this woman growing.

Maura is a beautiful woman with bright blonde hair, button nose and disarming smile, but even when she runs an orphanage she isn't a good person. She reminds me of Corin and anybody who reminds me of that woman earns a top spot on my I Hate You list.

She gives me a catty smile, the grin turning charming when other people enter the room. I turn around and see Nao with Jamaica trailing behind him while shoveling in a bag.

"Maura," he greets when he looks up from the thin book, and Maura nods at him, her closed smile opening up to show rows of perfect teeth. I take three steps back and stand next to Nao, glaring at her.

She ignores me.

"Leaving so soon?" she purrs like a damn cat. Isn't she a werewolf or do wolves purr, too?

"Yes, I've got things to do." Nao doesn't even bat her an eye and I laugh from the inside.

"I hope to see you again." Nao closes his book and nods, the action not holding any promise. I smirk at Maura, but she persists on ignoring me. "I will be sure to welcome you more warmly than today."

Nao nods again. "Then," he says, walking past her. Maura's eyes grow wide, shocked that somebody hasn't fallen for her charms. She was surely spending the whole day trying.

I grab Nao's elbow and connect my arm to his. He spares me a look and I turn to him with an innocent one. When he opens the door, I look over my shoulder, smirking at Maura.

"Whore," she mouths.

"Bitch," I mouth back.

We both hold out our middle finger for the other.

*

"So... where to?" Jamaica asks, excited.

I turn to Nao, asking him the same thing. I guess to the base, but maybe he has other things to do? I don't really know what the guys are planning, considering after much talking Nao's initial plan changed and since one word in one word out, I couldn't catch a thing from the new plan.

"We'll be staying here for the time being."

I look up to the sky, seeing the stars shimmering through the blanket that is the universe. "We could head back to the base; we'll arrive at around eight, ish?" Jamaica turns to me the moment I say the word 'base' with an adventurous look on his face.

I do hope he's not thinking the base is something cool or anything like that, it's barely a building. A place found by Emmie, Emmyl's twin, when he was roaming the city. It's not too far from the people where we'll be utterly terrified of the WB doing something, but at the same time it's not close enough that normal people would be sniffing around.

It's perfect, but also a dump.

Now, I almost don't want to go back, maybe to not disappoint the boy.