Chapter Fifteen - Highs and Lows

Ed:

"I think you should go."

That's what Alex said to me first thing in the morning.  I sat up in bed, everything from the night before coming back to me.  We'd slept together, and there I was thinking we'd had some sort of connection, but that had gone straight out the window when she suggested I leave.

"I should've told you, but I have a boyfriend."

I'd just been looking over at her lying there, whilst she fiddled with the loose bit of skin on the side of her thumb. 

"Sorry," was all I could gather, "I'll just go."

I heard her sigh as I pulled the duvet back, noting that beneath the blanket I was still naked.  I'd glanced round the floor and found my pants, managing to tug them on whilst I sat on the edge of the mattress.

"I really like you," her words broke the uncomfortable silence, but I didn't acknowledge them straight away, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

I stood to raise my jeans and button them.

"It's alright," I said, swiping at an itch under my nose as I bent for my shirt, "I'll just go."

It seemed as easy as that; taking the dreaded walk of shame.  Alex stayed in bed under the duvet as I gathered my guitar and left.  At first, I'd felt a bit hurt, but as I walked back toward Stuart's flat I'd tried my best to shrug it off.  I liked Alex and though I thought she liked me just the same, I realized I should've known better than to jump into something with her as quickly as I had. 

*

Stuart was just finishing up breakfast as I'd walked through the door.  He glanced up at me with a smile, rising from the table to clear his plate.

"Well now look what the cat's dragged in," he said with a smile, "I presume you had a good night?"

I contemplated not giving him an answer, but instead I gave a sigh and a short response.

"It was alright."

He set his plate down in the sink, quickly realizing that I didn't feel up to talking about it. 

Stanley came round the corner and brushed against my leg, and normally I'd reach down and give him a scratch, but I'd just ignored the cat and set my guitar down. 

"I'm headed to the shops in a bit if you want to join me," Stuart said.

I walked further into the kitchen.

"No, that's alright.  I'm just going to have a shower and I'll probably see you at the pub."

Stuart just nodded as I turned toward the bathroom. 

*

It was strange being with someone and it not turning into something bigger.  Granted I'd only been with Madison, but it was different. I'd only just met Alex, and as much as I hoped to see Madison again, I kept picturing myself with this new girl.

Stuart had gotten Chris, the cook, to open the pub that Saturday morning.  He hadn't felt up to it and over the past few days he'd brought up the idea of selling the pub and looking for something else.  He and Libby discussed buying a home outside the city, and while I was happy for them, I knew it was their way of saying I'd overstayed my welcome.

While he was out I took it upon myself to clean up the flat, since he and Libby had been kind enough to take me in and feed me for the past two months or so.  I'd washed and dried the dishes, swept and mopped the floor, made up Stuart's bed and ran the vacuum through the front room.  It didn't seem like much, but it was the least I could do.