Part 1

Flipping the open sign to CLOSED, Soleil Blackbird locked Writer's Block, the resident idea shop in Elkwood. Carrying a variety of ideas, from great to horrible, the little shop was always busy. The majority of clients were authors, but several game designers, playwrights, and film writers frequented the shop as well. Mr. Gould, the owner, hired her when she was 16 as a part time employee, organizing shelves and cleaning up after school. When she graduated high school, he had offered her a full time position. Now, four years later, she ran the shop most days.

    "Ready to head home?" Soleil asked. Dai, a greenery fae, popped out of her shirt pocket and said in a sing-song voice, "Yeah, I need some quality plant time."

If you weren't paying attention, he might appear to be just a stray leaf. Though on closer inspection, the fae appeared more like a humanoid leaf man with wings folded down his back, like a butler's coat tails.

    "What about the pothos on the counter top? He's not good enough for you?" Crawling up and onto her shoulder, Dai found a comfortable perch.

    "Are you kidding me? He's always spouting nonsensical ideas," the greenery tittered as he gripped a strand of her short black hair for balance. Soleil chuckled.

    Unless they wanted to be seen, one couldn't see or hear the fae. Most of the world thought the fae were just ancient (and extinct) mythical creatures. Soleil was one of the few exceptions to their unseen power. She could see, hear, and touch them even if they were cloaked. A trait passed down through her family, but for whatever reason, only women inherited the ability. A few males in her family could sense the presence of the fae but they could not see or hear them like Soleil could.

    Listening to the evening sounds as the sun set, Soleil looked around for the fae that usually littered the streets at this time of day. Some fairies and a few sprites danced in the golden light. But not nearly as many as usual. Several of the usual creatures were missing too, like the kesle and tresnel that always waved as they passed on the way home. An uneasy feeling filled Soleil's gut.

    "Are you seeing what I'm seeing," she whispered to Dai.

    "What?" he whispered, head swiveling from left to right.

    "There are less fae out tonight. And less creatures too. Doesn't that seem unusual?"

    "No. Not really. Maybe there's a celebration. You know how the fae like to party."

    "Yeah. Maybe," Soleil muttered as unease knotted in her gut.