Part 2

"Uncle Jamie! I'm home!" Soleil called to the back of Inks tattoo parlor as she entered the neat little space. The space was split in two, divided by the countertop: the lounge and the needle work space. The lounge consisted of two comfy chairs, a couch, and little bar height table with four stools. Side tables bookended the couch and chairs. Tattoo catalogs and binders sat on every available surface. Large posters of designs intermingled on the walls with album covers and photographs.

While the lounge was cozy, the needle space was a sterile, clean freak heaven. High backed black leather chairs that could be positioned in a number of ways for easy tattooing lined the left wall. A couple of swiveling stools sat next to various high chairs. Behind the chairs was a curtain that lead to the private rooms, a kitchenette, Uncle Jamie's office, and stairs that led to the apartments on the second floor.

Classic rock played over the radio. Disguised as Great Danes, two fae hounds lounged lazily on a huge dog bed next to the counter top. One black and one faun colored, they were nearly inseparable. The faun, Lacey, lifted her head and whined in greeting. The black, Tuck, huffed at Lacey's movement, repositioning his head for comfort.

"Heeey, Sunshine. How's your day?" Uncle Jamie's husky voice rolled over her as he walked through heavy black curtains. Herculean in stature, he stood at least eight inches taller than Soleil. Caramel skin complimented his close cut dark brown hair and vivid green eyes. Her green eyes.

"Same as usual. You?" Soleil replied. "Good. Lots of customers asking for your designs. They are quite popular, ya know." Recently, Uncle Jamie had her to market her drawings of fae and magickal creatures as tattoo designs. Per her request, he had inked many of her drawings onto her arms. Weaving vines and small fae completely covered her left arm. Ancient creatures wound over her right forearm. They were so beautifully crafted that they almost appeared alive, rippling with her muscles. Sleeves of magick and protection Dai had once called them. Combined with her medium bob, raven black hair, porcelain skin, and striking green eyes, her unique look attracted plenty of attention.

"That's good." She replied. "I'm gonna go change and then head back down." In addition to Writer's Block, Soleil worked nights in the tattoo parlor.

"Be quick, you know our rush will be starting soon." If you can call your friends coming over after they get off work "the rush," she thought taking the stairs two at a time.

Once inside her small studio apartment she hung her bag on the hook next to the door and placed Dai on the plant that hung right above.

"How are they?" she asked him as she began to changing into a plain dark blue t-shirt.

"Just dandy," he said flitting from plant to plant.

In contrast to the space down stairs, Soleil's room was like a jungle. Plants hung from the ceiling, sat on tables, took up corners, and perched on window sills all around the room, like an indoor garden. Plain wood furniture took up the rest of the space. A queen bed to the left, a small table and two chairs next to the kitchenette, and a couple of arm chairs facing the large window to her right that looked out over the river and the eastern forest beyond.

"Umm excuse me," said a trilly voice near the large window. Whipping around, Soleil snatched a pocket knife off her bed side table.

"Who's there?"

"Ummm, my name is Miki. I'm a wood sprite" said the disembodied voice.

"Where are you?"

"Down here," which wasn't terribly helpful when she knew that they could blend into any of the woody surfaces that filled the room. Scouring the furniture in front of the window she spotted movement as the nervous sprite hopped from foot to foot. Defenses dropping, Soleil replaced her pocket knife.

"And why are you in my room?"

"Ummm well your window was open and you are a Blackbird and umm I was hoping you could help me," he said in his high pitched trilly tone.

"And how can I help you?"

"W-w-well my mate has gone m-m-missing. He hasn't been home since last n-n-night and I-I-I-Im getting worried. I was h-h-hoping you could help me find h-him."

"He's probably just run off with someone he fancies more," Dai bit out in a harsh voice as he landed near the sprite on the side table.

"Dai!" Soleil scolded. She understood his skepticism and his dislike for wood sprites, but that didn't give him the right to be rude.

"Noooo, he w-w-wouldn't! W-w-we made p-p-promises," cried Miki, shrilly. Promises between fae were sacred and binding, meaning his mate probably hadn't left of his own free will.

"Ok, ok. Deep breath," she said to the sobbing and hiccupping wood sprite.

"We'll figure this out. It'll be ok. Calm down and tell me his name," Soleil said soothingly.

"M-m-murn," sniffled the distraught sprite.