chapter eighteen

You were so in love with your son.

He was completely oblivious to the situation he was in. For days, he just laid in your arms, on your chest, across your lap, blissfully calm and happy with his mother and sisters. He made a great distraction for them, too.

As for you, you were endlessly nervous.

You weren't sure what was happening. Sure, you were being used as bait - but what if Kylo didn't take it? Did you want him to take it? He would come get you, right?

You couldn't get any answers from yourself.

                              ...

Your daughters were eating their portions. You were preparing to nurse your son, feeling the heaviness of your eyes, wondering how many days old he was now, when a loud siren sounded distantly.

Your girls looked at your, eyebrows furrowed. You shrugged, listening intently, and then felt the lurch. You and your girls nearly fell out of your seats as the ship came to a sudden stop and then started to pull.

"What is it, Mama?" Adhara squeaked.

You looked out the tiny sliver of a viewport you were given. A brief glimpse of darkness, a streak of red, and then you saw rows of stormtroopers. And at the front, General Hux.

Never had you been so happy to see General Hux.

A strangled sound full of tears and disbelief rose out of your throat. The ship came to a halt and you heard the panicked screaming of Resistance members. Moments later, you saw pods escaping out the back. You wondered if Leia was on one.

You heard the screaming, the sounds of blasters, and you tucked your son in one arm. You reached your hand out for your girls and urged them to get behind you. They obeyed, stiffening at the sound of war going on beyond the door.

Flashes of lights and screams could be heard, followed by the commands of the stormtroopers as they shuffled Resistance members off of the ship. You held your breath. 

And then heard the sound of a lightsaber.

Tears filled your eyes as you heard the familiar crackling and whirring of the weapon, and while you prayed he wouldn't kill his mother or Poe Dameron (who would undoubtedly fight for you), you stayed still until the door was severed and destroyed, it falling away like it was peeled.

He stepped in over the mess of shredded metal, eyes wild and face ignited by the red of his lightsaber. His hair was longer and his face full of evidence of sleepless nights.

But he looked happy. Relieved. In love.

You straightened your back and he put the weapon away, lips parting with a shaky breath, eyes filling with tears.

He had come back.

                            ...

"___, I am so sorry," he spilled, crossing the room. His eyes darted to your stomach - still swollen - and he swallowed. "The girl told me you were pregnant. If I had known, if I had felt-" As he moved to touch you there, you turned, your girls peeking around you and the tiny baby in your arms letting out a cry.

His eyes flashed with disbelief and he moved his hand to cup under yours. The baby wailed, his arms freeing themselves from the blanket wrapped around him. He stretched and moved his hands, and Kylo watched.

"___," he whispered, looking up from the baby to you.

He didn't say anything else, but you saw it. You saw the sorrow and the guilt, the heartache and the amazement. You nodded once, telling him it was okay, that it was going to be okay, and everything was better now.