Chapter Six

❝CHAPTER SIX❞

❝Was I supposed to feel happy that my life was just suddenly going to change?❞

Are You Satisfied?, Marina And The Diamonds

◀⚜▶

UNLIKE THE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT WALKED INTO IT, Alex's father's study hasn't seemed to change at all. Every single trinket, every single piece of furniture, they were all where she remembered them to be.

It wasn't hard to remember every single detail about the study, considering the amount of time they had spent playing there. Everything looked so sophisticated, that even just being around them made them all feel so grown up.

It was ironic, really. When you're a kid, all you want to be is a grown-up. Now that you are, you'd do anything to go back to being a child, when everything was much more simple.

As if on instinct, Scarlett found herself drifting to the back of the bar table as everyone else found themselves moving to different parts of the room as well, trying to appear busy. She remembered the many times she's wanted to try alcohol when she was younger, but ended up a carton of strawberry milk pushed towards her anyways. She looked at all the assorted labels of drinks behind her, crossed arms, and an almost appraising look on her face as she did. She was so concentrated, she didn't notice the jock that walked over to one of the bar stools and took a seat. He watched her for a moment, forearms leaning on the table infront of him.

"What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?" Chase spoke, casually as if it was another line in a movie, which caused the redhead to look back at him, arms still folded across her chest as she did.

She raised an eyebrow at him in question, and was met by his goofy grin, although she could tell it was somewhat forced. He was trying to, well, try again, which was strange, considering what they had been arguing previously about.

The cliche movie line was what caught  Scarlett's attention. Scarlett remembered the countless Saturday nights that all of them would go over to her house and watch the countless movies that her father Edward had in the small house's cinema. They always fought about which movie they were going to watch, and Edward always had this "restricted" section of movies that weren't suitable for their age. That didn't stop them from trying to open it, however.

"Fella done me wrong." Scarlett replied back, a blank expression on her face. Then, a teasing smirk spread on her face. "You don't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

Chase's expression turned somewhat embarrassed, and he leant back from the bar table, rubbing the back of his neck sheepish. The infamous jock was, in fact, blushing. Scarlett found it both satisfying, and, she daresay, adorable. But she would he caught dead if Chase ever heard her say it.