Eleven

"What movie are we going?" I asked Frank for the sixth time, pulling at the bottom of his jacket to get his attention. It was to get his attention and to get my own focused on him and not the crowd of people around us. Every time I let my attention slip from Frank and noticed the growing crowd, I felt the anxiety built up in my stomach.

I always felt like people were looking at me when I was at the movies with B, because I was a man in his mid thirties who took his six year old daughter to marvel movies.

I always felt like people were looking at me when I was at the movies all by myself, because I was a mid thirties loner without any friends who left his daughter home alone in freaking Belleville.

I felt like people were staring at Frank and me right now, because I was pulling on his jacket, asking the same question over and over again. The employes seemed startled to see me with someone else. They seemed startled to see me on a date.

They seemed startled to see me on a date... With a dude.

I understood some of their glances. There was this girl behind the desk of the small food store, with whom I always made a small talk when I was alone. She never saw me with someone else besides B. Also, she knew I was bisexual as it once came up and she seemed rather pleased to see me on a date. I liked her. Her name was Isabel, which really suited her because bel is short for belle which is French or Italian for beauty.

Practically her name was Beautiful Isa. I once told her it suited her and she first blushed and then acted offended because of a mid thirties man was "hitting on" a girl in her early twenties.

I was so caught up in looking at her and smiling at her, I didn't realize Frank had already bought the tickets. Shit, I missed the name of the movie... I leaned my chin on the short man's shoulder and let out a soundless laugh.

"What?" His beautiful voice shot me out of my thoughts. "What's so funny?" I saw he had a bright smile presented on his face, showing his teeth, as he tried to look to me.

"It's nothing." I announced, wrapping one of my arms around his waist after standing next to him. I smiled down at him, realized how short he actually was. "Short stack." I said, smiling to myself.

"I love it when you smile. It shows your cute teeth." He said, helping himself up on his toes with a hand on my shoulder. He pecked the corner of my mouth and lowered himself again. I smiled to my feet while trying to control the blood stream in my cheeks.

He then began pulling me towards the food area and sat me down in a chair. "What do you wa- aw, you're blushing." Frank smiled at me again, revealing his teeth, again.

"I'll have a small salty popcorn and a small coca cola light, please." I tried to sound sure of what I was saying. I actually wanted a medium popcorn and a large coke, but what if Frank thought I was fat, too?

Frank sat down next to me. "Are you sure that's all you want? You also barely ate at dinner." He sounded concerned.

"Never mind, I just want a small coke. I'm not hungry." I said, sighing.

"A large popcorn to share and two large coca colas it is, then." Frank then patted my knee and walked over to get it.

When he went to the check-out to pay, I heard Isabel saying "is he still so self-conscious about his body?", which earned a confused nod from Frank. She smiled at him and her lips formed the words "have fun on your date", followed by a genuine smile in my direction. I weakly smiled back at her.

Frank signaled me to follow him, and so I did. I stood up from the chair and made my way to Frank who already entered a hallway.

---