VI.

"I didn't do it. I swear I didn't do it," a man kept going on and on.

"I know. I believe you and I'm going to help you," Marilyn said.

"You have to save me, Miss lawyer. I didn't kill her. Hell, I didn't even rape her. Why doesn't anyone believe me?" he cried helplessly. "I was trying to help her. I was trying to get her..."

Marilyn placed an arm to his shoulder. "Look at me, James."

He still avoided eye contact.

"I said, look at me."

The man raised his tear-torn eyes to Marilyn. He was trembling.

"I will get you out, I will take up your case, and I promise you that I'll never ever back down."
"You got that?"

When he didn't answer, she added, "Answer me dammit! You're a man, bloody act like one."

He calmed down slightly, whimpering like a dog who had caught a bad cold.

"You believe me? Miss lawyer?" he asked, hope and sad happiness puddled in his brown eyes.

"Yes. And I'm gonna save you." Marilyn smiled. "I swear it."

________________________________
Wednesday.
September 23, 2038.

She woke up to the sound of a shrilling alarm clock. Her head was pounding and her face was a mess. She got up after it felt like an eternity and went to her cabinet to get aspirin. She didn't bother gulping it down with water. She swallowed without any assistance, being used to it. The pounding gradually depreciated. She went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face. It was freezing but she needed the rejuvenation.

Something she had been running away from all her life had suddenly come back to haunt her. She sat on the toilet seat and shivered. This wouldn't do. She needed more aspirin. She left the bathroom and got some more. Tears clouded her eyes. Tears of regret and pain.

After calming down a little bit, she had a hot bath. Which lasted for about ten minutes. She washed her short black hair for the first time this week. She didn't like washing her hair because it reminded her of things she'd rather forget. When she was satisfied, she got out and started preparing for the children that would be dropped later at her house.

Marilyn got a broom and a mop and began to clean the house. Remnants of cookies and blue muffins stains were everywhere. Marilyn was a good baker so she had treated the kids to a special treat yesterday. The great happiness they felt when they ate the treats had been extended to her. It wasn't a regular occurrence for her to be happy.

She felt a stump under one of her couches while dusting. She put her hand in only to bring back out the juvenile shoe. This was the shoe they had searched everywhere for yesterday. Silly little shoe. She kept it in a safe place and continued her cleaning.

Nine o'clock struck and the children were brought over by their parents. They said hi to Marilyn and left for their places of businesses.

"Hey guys. And how are my favorite children doing today?" she cooed.

"We're fine Lyn-lyn," they chorused.

Except a boy called Justin who was frowning in a corner. Marilyn asked in a motherly voice, "What's wrong sweetheart?"

Justin stared at her for a bit then spoke. "You're pretty. I told my mom I wanted you to come live with us and she scolded me," he whispered.

"Can I live with you Lyn-lyn? I promise I'll be good and when I grow up, I'll buy a big big car for you so you can ride it anywhere you want," he finished excitedly, clapping his hands.