Chapter One: The chosen

Amberle Elessedil ran through the forest, jumping over logs and ducking under branches. Athena and Ander were hot on her trail, wincing every time she moved at the last minute. Athena stopped and doubled over, placing her hand on a tree for support. Ander also stopped and looked at his sister, glancing over to where Amberle was heading cautiously, before walking to where Athena now sat.

"Get up, she could hurt herself then we will be in real trouble." Ander said softly bending down and helping his sister up.

"This is the fifth time we have run this route tonight." She groaned, leaning on her brother. "She is going to get herself killed and then both father and Arion will never let us hear the end of it."

"Let me hear the end of it you mean." Ander said as the siblings started to walk in the direction of their niece. "Arion loves you to bits, as do I, and you're daddy's little girl." He mocked as Athena slapped him hard. He laughed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her in for a hug. The siblings walked in silence for a few moments before they heard a loud squeal followed by an equally loud thud.

"Oh God!" Athena muttered as she and Ander started to run through the dense forest, until they reached a deep ditch, at the bottom of the ditch lay Amberle.

"Amberle, you still alive?" Ander called, voice full of concern, as he jumped down into the ditch.

"Relax, Uncle Ander. It's not like I'm gonna break." She winced, sitting up as Ander began to undo her tied hands. "How many times have I missed that jump tonight?" she questioned.

"Five." Athena replied, bending down and removing the blindfold from her niece's face. "Don't worry, you will lose count of your steps tomorrow, it'll be the shortest half mile of your life." Amberle nodded softly.

"I'm going again." She announced and Athena groaned and collapsed on the ground beside her brother.

"What did we ever do to you?" she exclaimed as Ander hit her and turned to Amberle.

"No. It's late. The race starts at dawn... you need to rest." He tried glancing at Athena for help.

"But only the first seven runners across the line become members of the Chosen. I didn't do all of this just to lose." Amberle protested, climbing out the ditch and running back to the start. The twins looked at each other.

"Arion's gonna kill us." Ander finally said, not having moved from his position at the bottom of the ditch.

"I'm gonna kill you." Athena said standing up. "That was a pathetic excuse for not doing it again, 'you need your rest' what the hell? When did we ever listen to an excuse like that!" she shouted stomping off after her niece.

"I'm just gonna stay here... you know... for when she comes back!" Ander shouted looking around the dark forest, pulling his coat a little closer to his chest.