Chapter Six: The Last Druid of Paranor

Athena and Ander ran back into the throne room as fast as they could, to see that their father, Arion and a man in charge of the Ellcrys health, were gathered, talking about the Ellcrys. Eventine was looking increasingly worried by the second whilst Arion had a look of pure disbelief on his face.

"So, you don't recall any accounts of the Ellcrys ever having been sick?" Eventine asked as his children ran up the stairs and stood by his side. The man shook his head sullenly.

"It's never even shed a leaf." He answered causing Arion to scoff loudly, drawing everyone's attention to him.

"I understand the symbolic importance of the Ellcrys, Father, but it is, after all, only just a tree." He protested.

"The Ellcrys is more than just a tree. I can assure you of that, boy." A deep booming voice came from the doorway. Athena looked up and gasped at the sight before her. It was a man dressed all in black, hood covering his face and gloves on his hands. There was something almost familiar about him, like she had been in his presence a thousand times before, so much so that it felt just like coming home. It was evident, however, that her brothers did not feel the same way, as they both drew their swords and Arion ran down the steps to face him. Athena placed her hand on Ander's sword arm, lowering it to the ground. He looked at her confused, but in her trance like state, she did not acknowledge this and started to walk down the stairs.

"Stop there! How did you get passed the Home Guard?" Arion shouted, sword against the man's throat.

"Eventine, please tell your son I mean no harm." The mysterious man said as he lowered his hood.

"Allanon?" Athena said, recognising the man from her vision. He looked over at her, eyes widening, recognition flashing through them.

"That's my necklace." He said simply causing Athena to look down at the pendant on her neck. The owl sat comfortably there, eyes glowing an even brighter blue in the presence of its master. Athena nodded and took a step towards the man only to be stopped by her brother's sword.

"Put down your sword, boy." Eventine yelled from his throne, angered by the fact that it was now pointed towards his daughter. The old king stood shakily and walked down the stairs, drawing Allanon's attention back to him once more. He walked towards the druid and they embraced, placing their foreheads together.

"It has been a long time, my old friend." Allanon muttered as they closed their eyes. The Elessedil children, minus Athena of course, stared at the two in shock.

"Father..." Arion started, at last lowering his sword, but stepping closer to the pair in compensation. "Father, who is this Human?"

"This is Allanon... the last Druid of Paranor." Eventine answered, stepping away from his friend. Ander stepped forwards in shock.

"Druid?" he asked amazed.

"You said the last Druid died in the War of the Races." Arion said.

"Did you now?" Allanon asked with a hint of amusement in his voice. Eventine raised his eyebrows.

"Can you blame him?" Athena chimed in and the druid looked at her.

"You don't seem as easily swayed by the old man's stories as your brothers do, my lady." Allanon replied and Athena smiled softly.

"Maybe so." She replied simply. "Maybe I had hope."

"Hope?" Allanon asked, confused and she nodded.

"Hope. That the greatest warrior had survived to see the accomplishments of his work. To see the peace." She answered, neither of them noticing the smile that was now gracing Eventine's face.

"Athena's right. No one has set eyes on you in 30 years." The king said, beginning to circle the man. "I assumed the worst... but it appears you have not aged a single day." He finished standing opposite him once more. Allanon stepped forward and whispered in his ear.

"I have been called by the Ellcrys. I must go to the Sanctuary immediately." He whispered and the old king nodded.

"Take Athena with you." He replied causing Allanon to look at the princess once again. Arion stepped forwards and placed his hand on the druid's chest, trying to push him back, however, to the amusement of his siblings, the man would not budge.

"If you really are a Druid..." he started before his father grabbed his hand and shoved him back. But Arion was not done. "prove it. Show us some magic." He continued. Allanon looked at Eventine in amusement and disbelief, smiling slightly when he heard the sound of Athena's chuckle from next to him.

"I don't do tricks." He muttered before turning around and storming out of the throne room, Athena hot on his trail.

"I'm..." she started

"Athena, I know." He replied smoothly and looked at her out of the corner of his eye. The princess looked at the druid strangely and let loose a small smile. They walked in silence for a couple of minutes, before remembering the pendant on her neck.

"This is yours." She said softly, reaching behind her to unclasp the necklace and placing it in the now stationary druid's hand. He didn't even look at the pendant, instead he gazed into her eyes.

"Keep it." he said softly, walking around her and placing the necklace over her head and onto her neck once more. "Besides the owl is your animal." She looked up at him confused, feeling dwarfed by his massive height.

"My animal?" she asked and Allanon nodded.

"There was a myth a long time ago, of a wise goddess whose animal was an owl. Her name was Athena." He answered, stroking her cheek with his gloved hand. "And besides, the Ellcrys took it from my neck and left it in our vision for you to find. She must want you to have it for a reason." He finished and Athena looked down at the pendant once more, in a new light.

"Wise huh?" she joked causing the druid to smile softly and tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I know so." He whispered, still smiling softly before placing a kiss to her head and turning and walking to the sanctuary, leaving the princess stunned in the middle of the hallway.