Chapter 4

A week has passed since the arrival of the Dragon duo as well as the sleep over. Natsu and Gajeel haven’t returned yet and I need money for my apartment. Rogue and Sting gave up on waiting for them about two days ago and I’m starting to feel the same way. I sigh and stand from my seat at the guilds bar and walk over to the mission board.

Beauty Pageant for 10,000 jewels.  Haha no.

Subdue twin monsters for 140,000 jewels. I know I can’t do this by myself.

You’re too weak.

I grunt in frustration at the voice’s arrival. Just ignore it Lucy.

Guard Bank for 130,000 Jewel. This captures my interest and I pick up paper off of the board. All I have to do is guard a bank for a few hours until the guards come back. Apparently their off watching over a vehicle because their imputing more money. It also states that they request that only one mage be sent and they would be meeting up with two other mages from different guilds.  I wonder why the pay is so high. I shrug the thought off and give the paper to Mira.

“Lucy I’m glad to see you going by yourself,” She smiles, “You’ll actually get to keep the pay this time.” She giggles. Somehow team Natsu has gotten even more destructive lately and I sometimes go home with just 5,000 jewel. Definitely not enough for rent. “Be careful Lucy.” The white haired mage waves me off and I leave the guild.

Hours has passed until I finally arrive at my destination. I quickly talk to the bank owner. Luckily the two other mages are already here. “Lucy?” A light female voice asks. I turn around to be greeted by a girl with bright green eyes and light purple hair that flows down her back.

“Kuro!” I gasp in shock. “I haven’t seen you in forever.”

“It’s been extra-long for me since you had that time skip.” She points out. I let out a little laugh. “I’m apart of Phoenix Grave now. I gave up on hunting for treasure a couple years ago.” She explains to me. We talk for a while since we don’t have to start for about an hour.

“Where’s the other mage?” I suddenly remember that there’s supposed to be three of us.

“Oh he’s over there.” Kuro points to a familiar figure on the other side of the room.

“Rogue?” I question out loud. I expected someone from Blue Pegasus or Lamina Scale to come. I let out a small sigh.

“Yeah the Sabertooth guy.” She giggles.

“People have names for a reason.” I mutter under my breathe, but I know Kuro heard me.

“I honestly don’t give two shits about him.” She states before letting out a huff. I gape like a fish for a couple of seconds before frowning.

“Ku-“

“Lucy we should start patrolling now.” The green eyed girl cuts me off and drags me out of the room. I shake my head at her antics. It’s so strange how people could change over time. Kuro use to be a sweet, polite, and nice girl, but now she’s just being mean. I remember when I first met her after my mom’s death. She found me crying in a forest and comforted me even though I was a stranger. She made me feel better and accept that my mother was gone.

After that day we’ve always met up every day at sunset. I found out she was an orphan whose village was attacked. That’s why she was in the forest when I met her. I always brought her food to eat and games to play and occasionally snuck her in so she could bathe properly. It took years to figure out that she was a mage, but she never told me what she could do. Instead she talked about her dream to explore the world.