Chapter Ten

This is all in Kasnia, guys. :) Joe says something stupid, the Kasnia quartet (that's fun to say) finally get back together, and they're ready to fight! Also, a very sweet DeathSteel moment at the end since there actually hasn't been much in the story so far. And Malcolm and Slade are back to their old ways. All in all, the gang is back to normal!

Enjoy chapter ten, guys!

***

When Oliver came to, he found the tip of a blade just millimeters away from his eye. He slowly raised his head, and his gaze, to see Slade was the one behind the blade, Malcolm just behind him, his hand on his own sword. "Years ago, I made you a promise," Slade growled. "Do you remember?" Oliver didn't answer, not that Slade gave him a chance. "I promised that you would suffer the same way that I suffered."

"What are you doing?" Oliver asked, playing this for all it was worth. "You are not this person anymore."

"What I am," Slade walked forward, "is a father reunited with my son." Out of the corner of his eye, Oliver saw Joe keeping his eye on the two of them. In the process, he took his eyes off Malcolm, who ever so slightly eased his grip on his sword. Oliver started to relax more; these two really were putting on the performances of their lives. "I made him a promise, too, and I'm not going to break it again."

"We made each other a promise, Slade," Oliver reminded him. "To save our sons. To save Joe, to save William."

A slight tremor went through the base. It was small enough that Joe, walking forward, didn't notice it. Oliver, Slade, and Malcolm did. Slade didn't react that much except for a small smirk forming on his lips. Malcolm was much more open in his, as Joe wasn't looking at him; he was entirely focused on Oliver. "He has a son?" he asked in disbelief, only to grin evilly. "I'll make sure he suffers, too."

Another tremor, this one slightly more noticeable, made Slade pause for a moment. Oliver sank his teeth into his lip to hide the smirk Malcolm was no longer trying to hide behind Joe's back. Slade himself walked behind Oliver as Joe stood in front of Oliver, Malcolm walking to Oliver's side. "Slade," Oliver began as Slade adjusted his grip on his sword.

"Do it," Joe ordered as Slade raised his sword.

"Slade!" Oliver yelled.

Slade tensed, ready to bring the sword down –

Malcolm tilted his head, looking up. "Three," he said.

Joe frowned and turned to him. "What?" he asked.

"Three," Malcolm answered in a duh voice.

This time, both Oliver and Slade looked over at him, then Slade snorted, making Joe turn sharply to him. "I think you're selling her a bit short there, wizard."

"Oh, did you think I meant three Jackals?" Malcolm raised an eyebrow. "No, I meant three floors. She went through three floors of them. Either that or three dozen."

"That sounds more like her," Slade agreed, nodding.

"True," Malcolm nodded as Joe looked back and forth between them, completely confused. "Oh, and Slade?" He raised an eyebrow. "It's magician."

"Still say she'll get more than three dozen, though," Slade went on.

Then Oliver finally cracked and snorted. "You're still selling her short. She'll go through all of them if she has to."

"What is going on?" Joe narrowed his eyes.

"What's going on is that you didn't find Kara," Oliver answered with a smirk. "She always gets underestimated when really, she's the one people need to worry about the most. And you threatened my son, who she cares about like he's her own. Of all the stupid things you could have done, you just won an Olympic gold for stupid things."