chapter 13

LOWRI

The morning of the competition has arrived. I have too much adrenaline flowing through me to feel nervous. Tony drives us to the competition area at Trestles and the guys are meeting us there. I'm handed my number and I warm up before we start.

Mike has made a banner with

                       GO LOWRI

on it. I shake my head in both amusement and embarrassment and after Tony has given me a huge kiss "for luck" he says, all the competitors make their way out. I remember coming here with my parents when I was in my early teens to watch the surfing and its partly why I decided to move where I did.

TONY

I've no idea how the whole competition thing works and Lowri was a bit vague but they judge you on how well you manoeuvre, speed, difficulty and other things. The points are up to 10 for each thing and the most points wins. We sit on some of the chairs that have been put out and watch for Lowri. She's wearing a black and fluorescent pink wetsuit that belonged to her mum so it makes it easier to spot her. She seems to have quite an advantage over some of them out there and the crowd are roaring for her. I smile with pride. That's my girl.

LOWRI

I came second. I'm in shock. I'm given a cheque for $1000 and a trophy. Tony pulls me into his arms and lifts me up, swinging me around. Photographers are everywhere and we are photographed for local papers and surfing magazines. I'm on a natural high and I'm not sure when I'll come down from it. The guys want to take me out for a celebratory meal but I need to change first. I run into the van when we get back and find a denim skirt and black t-shirt with a studded dragon on and run up to Tony's so I can have a shower. I'm ready in less than 20 minutes, making them laugh. It seems they're used to waiting a lot longer. The advantage of not wearing make up I guess.

They know of a Mexican restaurant with an excellent reputation so we go there. We've hired a taxi so no-one has to be designated driver so I order a jack and coke. I'm celebrating tonight. We order a load of different dishes so we can have a bit of everything and it's such good fun. We leave around 11ish and head back to Tony's where the celebrations continue.  I'm suddenly too tired to stand. I guess the adrenaline wore off. I slump on Tony's shoulder. He knows I'm not drunk as I only had two.

TONY

I see Lowri literally fall asleep. One minute mid conversation, the next flat out. I pick her up and carry her upstairs, pulling her shoes off and tucking the covers around her. I go back downstairs and the guys decide to call it a night now. I say goodnight and go back up. I change into shorts and go back to Lowri, cuddling up to her. I kiss her cheek and she smiles in her sleep. I'm so proud of what she achieved today. Her parents would be too. I know they would. I fall asleep with my arms wrapped around her.

LOWRI

I wake up before Tony the next morning. As usual. I lie there watching him sleep for a few minutes. I gently reach out and stroke the side of his face. His skin is so soft. His eyes flutter slightly so I move my hand away.

"Don't stop. That feels good" he whispers. I smile. I put my hand back and he opens his eyes.

"Good morning beautiful" he whispers as he leans over for a kiss. My heart skips a beat or two at his touch. I run my fingers through his hair, making him moan with pleasure. He kisses me more passionately than he has before and this time I hear a moan leave my throat. He kisses my collarbone then my neck, making me squirm with pleasure. I look up into his eyes, wanting more. He smiles at me. I smile back. This is it.

TONY

I think I died and went to heaven. That was beautiful. I look at Lowri who has a shy smile on her face. I kiss her again and she responds by stroking my hair, which feels fantastic. I rub my hands up her back, making her shiver with pleasure. I smile at the look of ecstasy on her face and kiss her softly again.

LOWRI

It's past lunchtime before we finally get out of bed. I am wearing the clothes from last night with one of Tony's hoodies over my t-shirt, partly because I'm cold but also to hide all the love bites he's given me. We go downstairs and I go for a cigarette in the back while he makes me a coffee.

"Lowri" I hear. I look up at Tony.

"I guess after this morning we should maybe make this official. Will you be my girlfriend?"

I laugh softly.

"Of course. I've never been asked so officially before, it always just happened. I'd love to" I say, grinning like the Cheshire cat. He kisses me again.