chapter 16

TONY

It's boxing day afternoon. Lowri is still asleep. The guys arrived an hour ago. I told them what happened to explain why Lowri was still asleep. I've heard nothing from upstairs and we're keeping the noise down. I've checked on her several times. She's flat out. Mike goes to check on her. I hear his voice so I assume she's finally woken up. He's up there a while but I know she's in safe hands with him. I just wish she'd speak to me.

LOWRI

I wake up to Mike poking me in the face with his finger.

"What" I mumble.

"Talk to me. I mean it, Lowri. I can't see you putting yourself and Tony through this."

I roll over and close my eyes. I don't know if I can speak about what's going on in my head. I want to, I think. I'm just not sure where to begin. I wipe the tears that have started to fall away and sigh. I have my best friend at my side and my boyfriend downstairs, yet I feel so alone. Mike gently strokes my hair and hugs me.

"C'mon, please tell me what's going on in there" he pleads.

I look back over at him.

"Everyone else had their families yesterday. I should have been happy with Tony and his family but I just miss mine so much. What should have been a wonderful day ended up being so horrid, all because I can't get over losing them."

"It's only been a few months sweetheart. It will take time for you to start feeling better about stuff but you're not alone. Tony was devastated when he couldn't find you. He was upset at himself because he didn't know what to do and felt pretty helpless. He loves you."

I start sobbing. "That's only part of the story. Today would have been my dad's birthday" I mumble. The tears keep crashing down and I can't find the energy to stop them. I just want to sleep again.

TONY

Mike comes back down and tells us what Lowri said. My heart sinks at the thought of the anguish Lowri is going through. I go up to her and lie down with her. She's fast asleep but I see tears are still streaming down her cheeks. I wrap my arms around her and whisper "I'm sorry."

For not being able to stop her pain.