Part Seven

Kai and Jacoby:

A breeze ran through both Kai and Jacoby's hair since both were of a long, wavey length. Periodically, Jacoby would look at Kai in a more of, attracted way, instead of a normal friend loo that Kai always gave him.

Do I like him? Jacoby thought to himself. I can't, though.

"So, why are we hanging out right now?" Jacoby asked Kai as they came to the intersection of Main and North Street, pressing the button and waiting for the white walking man to signal them to go.

"Well," Kai said, "Cody's parents are having a memorial this weekend and I wanted to invite you. As my plus one."

"I didn't know him that well."

Kai chuckled, "Yeah, you left the friend group right after me, but don't let that stop you. We were still all really good friends."

"Yeah."

"So," Kai said as they finished crossing the street. "You gonna come?"

For a moment, Jacoby was silent. He then began to speak but it wasn't the reply Kai was expecting. "I'm going to say it," Jacoby tells Kai, stopping next to a bench and sitting down, "I like you."

"What?"

Angry at himself, Jacoby replies, "Nevermind, I shouldn't have told you."

"No," Kai tells Jacoby, consoling him, "It's good you got it off your chest."

Jacoby looks up at Kai, confused. "What do you mean?"

"I like you too, as more than friends."