C9: Taken

"You may sit." The man at the head of the table looked to be in his late 50's at least, but it was clear he held a lot of power. His black hair was peppered with grey around the edges, and his dark eyes held little emotion. I fought the urge to cower when his empty eyes landed on me. 

Phoenix and the other 7 sat down, and I followed suit. Phoenix made sure I was sitting next to him, and for that I was grateful. I knew it was his possessive side coming out, even though I don't know why it would come out now. Most of the guys at the table were old enough to be my grandpa. 

Yeah, not exactly my type.

"You all are here for a specific reason. I called you here to talk about the rising problem of the Rogue's. They are starting to attack the weaker packs and holding them as prisoner. This is getting out of hand, so I've gathered us together to think of a solution."

"The Rogue's have a king." I stated simply after he was done speaking. All eyes turned to me in surprise, and I didn't even get to finish what I was about to say before the man verbally attacked me. 

" Sorry, men. It seems we have someone in our midst that I didn't expect to see or hear. Frankly, I don't even know why the pup is here." His voice was cold, and a few chuckles escaped those around the table. I narrowed my eyes and just managed to hold myself back from snarling at him. Just as I was about to defend myself, Phoenix put a hand on my knee under the table and mind linked, let me take care of this. 

I watched him with a poker face, making sure no one knew what I was thinking. I wanted to teach this man a lesson. Who did he think he was, calling me a pup? That was extremely offensive. I guess I wasn't very good at hiding my emotions, because he smirked when he saw my reaction.

"Why did she even bother talking? Why did she think we were going to put up with her worthless-"

"Are you done attacking my mate, Adam?" Phoenix said harshly, though his face was calm. 

Adam's face didn't change. "Oh, so she's your mate. And that makes it all right for her to be here? If I wasn't in such a good mood today, she would be out of her faster than you can say Rogue."

"I would like to see you try to take her away from me." His hand found mine under the table and squeezed, and I squeezed back. 

Adam looked at me once again, dismissing Phoenix. My mouth flattened in a straight line. He thought he had the power to dismiss Alpha Phoenix of the Blood Ash Pack? Well, he apparently did because all my mate did was clench his teeth. Phoenix didn't say anything, which was not his usual reaction when someone disrespected him.

At this point, I was not conscious of my actions. I stood up so fast my chair shot behind me and slammed into the wall, making a loud booming noise resonate throughout the room. "Don't you dare disrespect Alpha Phoenix of the Blood Ash pack, old man, and don't you dare disrespect me. I am not a pup, I am to be a Luna soon, and you should not forget that!"

My voice rang with authority and was so powerful, even I was shocked at how cogent it sounded.  Dead silence was met with my declaration and I retrieved my chair and sat down gracefully. Folding my hands, aware of all the eyes on me, I tilted my head in Adam's direction. "Now, may I continue?" 

Instead of answering my question directly, Adam's mouth tilted up in a twisted smile. "I underestimated you. I don't plan to do that ever again. What is your name?"

"Adira Sabrina Dame, previously known as the daughter of the Alpha of the Moonhigh pack, but soon to be Luna of the Blood Ash pack." 

He nodded once. "A rank I will not forget." 

Adam then folded his hands in front of him on the table and said," Continue. I'm curious to what you will suggest." 

I took a deep breath. "Why not attack them where it will hurt them the most? We could capture the Rogue King. Without their leader, they'll be like lost puppies trying to find their way home."