Chapter 16

WARNING: Short Chapter

"No," I stated coldly.

The Head nodded, looking back to Megan and Amber.

"Well?" I asked. "What's next?"

She looked away, avoiding the stares she was receiving.

"I-I don't know.. Maybe..." She thought, contemplating on where she should go next.

"We have a map!" Amber chimed in.

The Head smiled warmly at Amber, nodding again.

"Ok, so let's get going. Keep your eyes peeled and listen carefully. If you hear anything suspicious - and I mean anything at all - you tell me."

We nodded and walked in a group down the road, all in utter silence. The breeze was blowing towards us which gave us and advantage, as it meant we could hear sounds clearly from behind us.

"How have you girls been while I haven't been here?" The Head asked.

I glanced at Megan and Amber, who nodded.

"Good. Well..." I trailed off. How did I tell her that we'd been running from Leather Face until she came?

She smiled weakly, as if she knew exactly what we'd been doing. I sighed a breath of relief - I didn't want to explain everything we'd been through... Especially the losses.

"Were there any others?" She asked quietly.

No no no...

I gulped, rubbing the sweat from the palm of my hands before filling her in.

"Ellie and Holly," I began. "We were being chased and I tried so hard but Leather Face..." I trailed off, wiping the fat tear drops from my cheeks.

"It was impossible to save them, Emma. It's not your fault."

I sniffed, nodding at her.

My heart was shattering into a million pieces as I broke down. Remembering the deaths of my friends was too overwhelming to bottle up inside me, I needed to let out my emotions. Salty tears fell from my eyes as I cried out my feelings, screaming at the world for making me cope with all that.

"Emma, shh!" Everyone tried to calm me down but I carried on screaming my heart and soul out. Soon my throat was red raw and my eyes were stinging as the Head cradled me in her arms, singing me a gentle lullaby to help me sleep.

I yawned, gazed up at her and allowed my eyes to droop.

Just before fully closing my eyes to sleep, I noticed a shadow towering over the girls and an ear-splitting scream.

Leather Face was back.

****

Sorry for the short ish chapter but I had no time to write this! Please vote and comment etc

Next chapter will be better