1 - N

Skylar Anwar had been a lot of things in her life. A sister. A daughter. A hyper five-year-old being not-so-hyper, sitting on the steps of her house waiting for her parents to come home.

Needless to say, they never returned. Her sister's disappearance soon followed.

Nine years later, Skylar walked out of her foster home for the last time. She couldn't afford to start caring for her adoptive parents, because who knew when the Glint would come again?

Of course, she was sorry she had to do this to them. No matter how annoying and ignorant they were, she knew they still cared for her. But it wasn't like she had a choice. The Glint had appeared to her years ago and would haunt her for many to come.

The years after her parents—her actual, biological parents—died had been the worst in her life. The five, happy years of peace she had been able to enjoy quickly evaporated and left her with nothing.

Well, she had her very messed-up life, but that was pretty much the definition of nothing.

So when the bullies at school told her she had no life, she didn't object. She never bothered to put them in her place with a sharp retort. Although she could have, she never did, because in her heart she knew that she was as worthless as she seemed to everyone else.

Maybe even more worthless than the outside showed.

At a fast pace, Skylar walked down the street, her backpack on her back, the gold highlights flashing in her hair. The girls at school were always pestering her to tell them where she got them. If Skylar told them the truth, which she didn't, they would surely call her a freak. Her heavy bag held all the essentials—like her credit card. Her parents had left her with quite a lot of money—and a birthday card from her [adoptive] parents. Skylar made her way to the end of the street.