Introduction

My life has always been boring. I'm considered a nerd, an outcast I'm nearly invisible. Yet for the first time in my life, I'm not looking forward to going to high school. I have always been homeschooled, but my parents think that I need to go to a real school to make friends and become social. But let's face it, that's never going to happen. I barely know how to speak to people, and that's exactly what my parents think I need to change.

I have always lived in Mount Vernon, and I love the tranquility here. Yet, I didn't know that my parents were sugar - coating this whole school thing. What was really going on was a divorce. I never thought that was possible. My parents were inseparable and lived happily all these years. They looked so in love. I saw the looks, the gestures, and I always believed they were the perfect happy couple. Now I'm not sure when things changed, if they stayed together just because of my brother and I, or if things happened recently. They don't want to give us any details and that wories me.

My father is staying in the house with my brother since it was passed on from his parents. I'm older than my brother, and I'm really going to miss him; I like having someone to scold all the time, and he is my only friend. I told him eveything and I don't want things changing between us.

Im moving with my mother to the Bronx with her sister Elsa. I don't know anything about this strange place, but I did my research, and I'm scared out of my pants. It looks nothing like Mount Vernon and it's really dangerous, I heard. No longer will I be living in a house, but in an apartment, sharing a room with my aunt's daughter Maria. Since my aunt is divorced, my mom will share a room with her. This set up is so different, I don't know what to expect. I have lived in a huge house with a backyard all my life and now I won't even have the privacy of a room of my own.

I'm less scared because I have Maria to help and guide me. We speak on regular family meetings and stuff so she's not a complete stranger. She's as old as me, and were both heading to high school. She's not as outcast as I am, she's just a normal student, she told me. She's not a troublesome girl like, and she's not a goody two-shoes like me. She's just normal and I like that just fine.

My alarm clock goes off, it reads 7:00 am. I woke up not so long ago on my own. I can barely sleep thinking about the sudden changes in my life. I smack my alarm off and head straight to my bathroom. God I'm going to miss everything in this house. I take off my clothes and go straight in the shower. I lather up, brush my teeth, rinse and head towards my room. It looks so empty since everything is packed, thrown out, or sold. I can't bring a lot of stuff since I won't be having my own room, and it's not large at all. I look around my room. Everything looks so different. I've lived here all my life, and now I have to just go and this bedroom is the hardest to leave. The only things I left unpacked were the clothes I will put on today, my towel, soap and toothbrush. I put on my clothes and pack everything else. Today is going to be a long day, and I don't think I'm ready for it.