Chapter 4

If meeting a General wasn't nerve wrecking enough, try meeting a General who looked like had a lot of training for his past experiences. I guessed he was a solider in the previous World War. There was a hell of lot of medals on his chest. Statistically, a lot of American soldiers died during that war. But he was a survivor, so this made me respect him even more. Annabeth told me he was a great and gentle man, but I couldn't get past the stone hard face he bore. It was a very intimidating.

I saluted and he motioned for me to sit. I wasn't prepared to pull another face-off, so I didn't know what to expect or say to the General. He cleared his throat, which made my heart race a bit. He noticed my discomfort and laughed.

"Anxious?" He asked.

"Pardon?"

He adjusted himself in his chair. "You look shaken, boy. Is there something wrong?"

"N-No. No, sir. I'm completely fine." I answered.

"You look like you just saw a ghost."

"I might have." I humored him.

General Chiron smiled. "Perseus, you're not in trouble. I'm here to help you find a good match."

"Match, sir?" I curiously asked.

He nodded his head. "Yes. From what I heard, you are a good man. I need more men like you in high command. I have high hopes for you, Perseus."

I nodded my head slightly. That was the first time someone, besides my mother, saw something good in me. I wasn't a troublemaker, I wasn't a mistake, I wasn't a failure. I was somebody with a future. The General looked like he meant it. I smiled and laughed a bit, in relief. "Thank you, sir."

He opened a drawer in his desk. He pulled out a folder with lots and lots of important documents. It looked more like a manual more than anything. He slid it carefully to the front of his desk. "Welcome to the family, Percy."

I got up and grabbed the file. I read the title in the middle of the folder. Inscribed in gold was the word "EURYDICE". Underneath was a word written in golden letters I couldn't understand: "Ευρυδικη"

"Eurydice," the General spoke, "ancient Greek for 'wide justice', which what we specialize in. I'd like you to be a part of this."

I looked up to him, down to the folder, then back at him. "This...this is a tremendous honor, sir."

"I'm glad you think so." He stood up and headed towards the door. "From now on, you will be reporting to me. I'm sure you won't have a trouble reaching me. As for your new uniform, I'll have Annabeth deliver it to you." He opened the door for me then held out his hand. "I can't wait to see what you have in store, Jackson." He said formally. I respected this and shook his hand.

"I won't let you down, sir." I saluted and exited his office.

-----------------------------------

I held the documents close to my heart in protection. The world around me felt different. I had a weird sensation that I've never felt before. It was overwhelming, but nice. It made me want to run around dancing and singing through the streets. I couldn't wait to get home and read about the group I was recruited into. I had to call my mom and let her know of my success. I opened my front door and took off my jacket. As I did, all my friends jumped out from behind my furniture.

"CONGRATS! WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, PERCY!" They all said in unison.

I jumped and clutched my jacket. Hazel came up to me and hauled me in direction. I wasn't sure what to make of this situation. Did they say 'family'? They sat me down in front of cake with blue frosting decorations. I looked up at my friends. They were all grinning. They leaned in to hear what I had to say. I huffed and rubbed my forehead.