Chapter 5

Apologizing to women is like talking to a wall. They only acknowledge your existence when they have a sassy remark to say. I followed her around the office trying to get her attention. I apologized a dozen times and still she didn't seem to care what I said. Her fellow telegram operators kept on eye on their station and one eye on us, like if we were a couple out a romantic comedy.

I grunted, annoyed by her evasiveness. "Look, okay! Annabeth. I was jerk. I know that. I'm trying to make a sincere apology, but it doesn't look like you care."

Annabeth whipped her head in my direction. She looked like she could kill me with the folder full of telegrams she had in her hand. "I heard you and its music to ears to hear you insult yourself. It's a marvel I didn't have to say it myself." She said with a sarcastic smile.

I sighed and circled around. I brought my hands up and shook them. "What do you want from me?!"

Luke circled around the corner, sipping coffee from a cup, and stopped to look at us both. He looked confused as to what was happening. The telegram operators put their full attention to their machines and worked faster, pretending to ignore what was going to happen next. Luke looked at Annabeth then at me. He slowly brought the coffee cup to his mouth and took a very long sip. We all nervously looked at him. When he finished, he sighed. "Good morning crew." We nodded to him and he smiled. "What's going on? Did something happen?"

Annabeth blushed and shook her head. "No. We're not. Percy was just trying to apologize for something he said and was trying to make it up to me by taking me to Le Pier."

Le Pier. I thought. I then realized that was the most expensive restaurant on the shore. I never said that! Was she trying to make Luke jealous? I wasn't her back up plan. I opened my mouth to defend myself, but Luke's eyes shot open.

"W-Whoa, Percy! That's very considerate of you." Luke said, with a big smile.

"Yes, isn't it?" Annabeth said, with a sly look on her face.

I nervously laughed. "Yup! That place!"

Luke circled around us and patted me on the shoulder. "Good luck." He told me before he continued his way to his office.

I got closer to Annabeth and whispered. "There was no way I could afford a place like that."

"I know." She whispered back. "I'm going to milk you dry." She said before leaving and placing the folder on General Chiron's desk. She came back and gave me an evil grin. "Meet me there at 7. Dress fancy and I won't take no for an answer."

----------------------------------------------

I stuck out like a sour thumb. I dressed in my uniform, which was the only fancy thing in my wardrobe, and waited for Annabeth at the corner. A few of my superiors walked by. We saluted to each other as they went in. I tried to relax as much as possible. Jason lend me enough money for a meal, so I was good for the both of us. I also brought money from savings to spend. Money that I shouldn't have been using, but this was an emergency. Anything to please a woman, right? I heard the click clack of heels followed by someone clearing their throat. I looked over to my right and saw Annabeth. She looked absolutely stunning. She didn't wear a lot of make-up this time. Only around her eyes, which make them sparkle. White gloves concealed her forearms, and her dress was a sea green color that sparkled whenever she moved.

"Annabeth." I said, offering my arm.

Annabeth took it with the same grin she wore in the office. "Mr. Jackson." She hooked her arm with mine. Together, we walked in and the host greeted us. I looked around as he looked to see there were any open tables. The floor was made with ember wood panels that were glossed with a satin finish. The roof was painted with a couple of naked cupid babies and a bunch of scenarios. One of them detalied a woman looking away from a man who offered her things. What a coincidence. The host looked back to us and motioned to follow him. When he left, another host replaced him. It made realize how rich the owners were. The owners were rich enough to hire a dozen of hosts. Our host took us to a table below the second floor. Since it was dimly lighed, the host lit the candle that rested in the middle of our table. He wished us a good time and we thanked him. I pulled out the chair for Annabeth. When she sat down, I pushed her in and took my seat. A few minutes later, a waitress came with menus and handed them to us. She was a pretty looking girl. Her bangs were so long they rested on her shoulders. Her eyes were like Piper, changing color in time. Her name tag read "Silena".